Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Andrew Draskoy <an...@mun.ca> on 2020/04/21 02:05:40 UTC

No logging after initial startup

Hi, I've had a search in the archives and can't find an answer to this. We've
set up guacamole, and it's all working very well. The only thing wrong is
that there is no logging in catalina.out after startup. A variant of this is
always the last line in the file:

13-Apr-2020 15:56:47.727 INFO [main]
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start Server startup in 4704 ms

I've tried adding a logback.xml, and adding a guacd.conf with "log_level =
info". No effect.

Even when we started it up in a vanilla configuration with just basic
authentication provider, there was nothing. I'd welcome any suggestions of
how to debug this. My java / tomcat skills are very rusty.

The environment is an up-to-date gentoo emerge, and guacamole is 1.1.0.

Thanks!
Andrew

Re: No logging after initial startup

Posted by Andrew Draskoy <an...@mun.ca>.
I managed to get it working. I had to add a file appender, and then it
was well behaved. Still not sure why it was necessary, but I'm guessing
it is something odd about gentoo's default tomcat (8.5) configuration.

<configuration>
<!-- Appender for normal logs -->
     <appender name="GUAC-INFO" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
         <encoder>
             <pattern>%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} -
%msg%n</pattern>
         </encoder>
     </appender>

     <!-- Log at INFO level -->
     <root level="info">
         <appender-ref ref="GUAC-INFO"/>
     </root>

     <appender name="FILE" class="ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender">
         <file>/var/log/tomcat-8.5/guacamole.log</file>
         <append>true</append>
         <encoder>
             <pattern>%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} -
%msg%n</pattern>
         </encoder>
     </appender>
     <root level="INFO">