Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2000/06/06 13:04:15 UTC

[Fwd: Got news about the 1.0.0 release ?]

Is this something we should consider?
--
#ken    P-)}

RE: [Fwd: Got news about the 1.0.0 release ?]

Posted by "Daniel S. Reichenbach" <ds...@opensa.org>.
> Eh? They have installers all over the place on the site.
>
> Maybe I wasn't clear enough -- I meant they provide the install
> software
Might be my bad english :-) But i got the point...

/me
--
Open Server Architecture project                http://www.opensa.org/
Daniel S. Reichenbach                                   dsr@opensa.org

RE: [Fwd: Got news about the 1.0.0 release ?]

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Daniel S. Reichenbach wrote:
> > Wise Solutions (www.wisesolutions.com) provides the installer for
> > Python.
> Couldn`t find it on the site, do you have a link to it?

Eh? They have installers all over the place on the site.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough -- I meant they provide the install software
which Python builds their install bundle from. The actual Python distro is
at www.python.org.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

RE: [Fwd: Got news about the 1.0.0 release ?]

Posted by "Daniel S. Reichenbach" <ds...@opensa.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
Wise Solutions (www.wisesolutions.com) provides the installer for Python.
Several years ago, they gave the Python community several licenses to use
the product (and shipped boxes? dunno).

In any case, they seem supportive of free software and are quite happy to
provide a license to use the product. In the Python case, it was quite
clear cut: there was just one guy who created the Win32 distro. That might
not make as much sense as for Apache, so we may want stuff that is free to
start with.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Installer for Win32 (was: RE: [Fwd: Got news about the 1.0.0 release ?])

Posted by "Daniel S. Reichenbach" <ds...@opensa.org>.
I just digged into the documentation of the MSI to check possible
solutions for getting it running in a usable form, which at least
is as good as the previous Installshield version :-) The important
point is parsing the config files.

MSI allows us to do this in several ways:

 o patch the config files using custom actions and VBScript.
   Alternatives are VBScript and PerlScript.
   This would require the end-users to have the Windows
   Scripting Host installed.
   In the eye of the ILOVEYOU storm a risky thing to do.

 o update the install.dll for MSI to do patching. Would offer
   a good way to make the installation more comfortable with
   options like installation-dependant configuration.
   A bit more work, as i would have to port my parser from
   installshield to c, but it would be worth it.

Thats it for now. More on this in the next days.

/me

Posted by "Daniel S. Reichenbach" <ds...@opensa.org>.
> > So i see no problem in using MSI, as the advertisement doesn`t
> > seem to make any sense for Apache. As using the standard inf files
> > for installations is not as comfortable for the user, i would
> > suggest to give MSI a try.
>
> Your call, voulenteer!  I'm happy to give anything based on a decent
> free or opensource (preferably the later) a whirl!  As long as MSI
> won't pop up extreme "You must download IEx now... click here to
> continue" I'm ok with it.
Ok then. I`ll start with porting my current installshield script
over to the MSI in the next days. As i didn`t work with MSI yet,
i`m not sure what amount of time it will require.

If anyone has wishes what should be covered by the setup, send it
to the list.

/me

Posted by "Daniel S. Reichenbach" <ds...@opensa.org>.

Posted by "Daniel S. Reichenbach" <ds...@opensa.org>.

Posted by "Daniel S. Reichenbach" <ds...@opensa.org>.
> > Visual Studio installer can be found here:
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/vsi/default.asp
>
> If we can avoid adding -more- dependencies upon the msvc
> platform, let's do so.
Good point... and after checking the installer, i found
another problem with VSI: it`s not a real Windows Installer
system, it just mimics to be one and makes customization
a bit hard to understand. Should be avoided, as many Win32
users of Apache never seen a compiler or dont even know
Visual C++, at least the most who contacted me for the
OpenSA releases had that problem. There were questions
like "Do i have to learn C? I`m just a sysadmin, not a
developer" . Like that. I think, this is point, where
Win32 and Unix are two different galaxies ;-)

> > The original Windows Installer can be found here:
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/wininst.asp
>
> That's what I was considering as 'vanilla'.  Everyone has the
> original Windows Installer rolled into their Windows system
> (or we could insist on the new, more robust installer, but that's
> an option I'd like to avoid just for the size of the download.)
Maybee a link to the Installer should help. Or a seperate
download option. It`s not that big to download and its a one-time
thing if you dont have Win2k.

> > > I was about ready to roll something vanilla out of what
> > > Win32 already does.  Anyone have a lead before I attack?
> > I would really love to help in that case, e.g i could
> > build the install packages or contrib my installshield
> > scripts and stuff i did for OpenSA.
>
> If you will contribute it under the Apache license, we would
> be much obliged :-)
Of course i will, i`ll have to do some rewriteing for plain
Apache, as my scripts don`t use the installdll way, they
do patching and parsing from within ther installation system,
my Win2k installer won`t need any external dll.

> Feel free to build upon it.  Remember that we need msvcrt.dll
> into the system directory for release builds, but never want to
> overwrite a newer version.  Also, we never overwrite existing
> httpd.conf or the other config files!  (But we do replace the
> httpd.conf-dist-win version.)
My scripts check the httpd.conf and offer patching it, depending
on the previous contents, e.g. modules can be configured with
an update.

> A thought for 2.0:
>
> wouldn't it be cool if the apache installer would warn of missing,
> depreciated and invalid tags in the httpd.conf, and offered to
> clean them up (tag for tag, not just wipe the file)?
I have a parser ready for InstallShield 2000, which i wrote for
the OpenSA releases, which should be able to do this. Its currently
under testing, but if i get it stable enough and get it working
with the plain Win2k installer, it could be a way to do this.
The script also allows enabling/disabling of config tags.

/me
--
Open Server Architecture project                http://www.opensa.org/
Daniel S. Reichenbach                                   dsr@opensa.org

> > It would be nice to consider a free software installer
> > package, open source would be still nicer.
> Maybee the Windows Installer in it`s plain form from M$
> or the Visual Studio Installer would be of use as a free
> alternative.
>
> Visual Studio installer can be found here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/vsi/default.asp

If we can avoid adding -more- dependencies upon the msvc
platform, let's do so.

> The original Windows Installer can be found here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/wininst.asp

That's what I was considering as 'vanilla'.  Everyone has the
original Windows Installer rolled into their Windows system
(or we could insist on the new, more robust installer, but that's
an option I'd like to avoid just for the size of the download.)

> > I was about ready to roll something vanilla out of what
> > Win32 already does.  Anyone have a lead before I attack?
> I would really love to help in that case, e.g i could
> build the install packages or contrib my installshield
> scripts and stuff i did for OpenSA.

If you will contribute it under the Apache license, we would
be much obliged :-)

We have the installer rewrite script (@@ServerRoot@@->real root) in:

  src/os/win32/installer/installdll

Posted by Scott Sanders <sc...@eionline.com>.
It is a shareware developer edition, that was OKed for use within the ASF.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.

Remember some of the uses of Apache can be considered 'commercial',
ergo that scope is a bad thing.  We avoid GPL for similar reasons.
-Free- is cool, but the exceptions are badness.

Bill

RE: [Fwd: Got news about the 1.0.0 release ?]

Posted by "Daniel S. Reichenbach" <ds...@opensa.org>.

Posted by Scott Sanders <sc...@eionline.com>.

Posted by "Daniel S. Reichenbach" <ds...@opensa.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.