Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Steve Morin <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/11 01:00:09 UTC

How to Migrating from Hive Embedded to Server Mode

Does any one know how to migrate the metastore data in hive when it's
been used in single user mode to server mode?

Basically I want to export the metastore from the embedded mode and
import it into a server mode hive setup.

Does anyone know how to do this?

-Steve

Re: How to Migrating from Hive Embedded to Server Mode

Posted by Prasad Chakka <pc...@facebook.com>.
1) http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/AdminManual/MetastoreAdmin
2) http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HiveDerbyServerMode

The file that contains the derby embedded database data is in the config param javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL. Use the same file as the database for the 2) option. I have not done this but you may want to look up into Derby help to completely make it work.

If you want to use MySQL then you should dump the database into a flat file and then load it into a MySQL db. Schema should be same so it should be possible

Thanks,
Prasad

________________________________
From: Steve Morin <st...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:11:18 -0800
To: <hi...@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc: <hi...@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: How to Migrating from Hive Embedded to Server Mode

Mysql would be great but can use derby if it's possible to import it in derby and not mysql.

On Nov 10, 2009, at 16:05, Prasad Chakka <pc...@facebook.com> wrote:

What kind of JDBC server do you want to use? Derby or mysql or something else?

Posted by Steve Morin <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prasad Chakka <pc...@facebook.com>.