Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Andrew Berry <an...@whyanbeel.net> on 2004/06/03 06:11:38 UTC

Handlers with multiple pivots

Hi,

I have just started experimenting with Axis and I'm new to this list,
so forgive me if this question has been asked before.  I've searched
the archives and the FAQ but didn't find anything that seemed relevant.

I want to implement "smart" handlers that can potentially have multiple
pivots (i.e. providers or transport handlers).  In the inbound case,
this might be used to deliver the same message to multiple services, or
perhaps split the message into logically distinct components for
processing by distinct services.  In the outbound case, this would be
used to implement a form of multicast so that a message can be
delivered to multiple recipients.  Note that I don't want to use
transport-level multicast because the set of recipients is likely to be
dynamic and determined by handler logic.

Specific questions:

- Has anyone done this before?
- Is it just a matter of configuring multiple handlers in a chain?
- What if more than one handler returns a reply?
- Is it feasible to clone the message and create a thread for each
pivot?

I notice that the SOAP monitoring utility appears to operate in this
manner, sending copies of all incoming messages to a monitor service.
I assume in this case, however, that the monitoring utility never
replies which makes life easer.

Any input appreciated, and let me know if this is a question better
asked on the developer list.

Thanks,

AndyB