Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jeff Wallace <jl...@us.ibm.com> on 2017/07/18 16:09:26 UTC

Unexpected scoring results

On a legacy product that is still based upon Lucene-3.6.2, we (or our
customers) occasionally encounter a situation like this:
For what ever reason, a customer causes more than one duplicate source
document to be ingested into the same index.
A subsequent query whose criteria selects these duplicate documents can
sometimes report score values that differ considerable for the supposedly
duplicate content?

Searching through some of the older Lucene mail archives I did notice what
I believe to be discussions concerning development test failures having to
due with unexpected scoring results as past points in time.

Anyway, we do hope to soon upgrade to a newer version of Lucene (how new
will depend upon our ability to provide re-indexing capability to existing
customers' v3.6.2 existing indexes).
My question is: is it likely that this occasional scoring aberrations have
been fixed and/or reduced in later versions (say 5.x or 6.x)?

Thank you for any info.

Jeff Wallace
Software Development, FileNet
IBM Corp.