Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/29 09:13:16 UTC

slow on pull request and issue

Hello folks,

I'd like to apologize first since recently we are slow on issue and pull
request. We are very busy on ramping up Dubbo 2.7.0 which is expected to be
public available soon. I hope we could come back in one or two weeks so
depending on how soon we could finish. The code review for dubbo 2.7.0
release is happening now on Github pull request. Feel free to join us to
raise issue or submit pull request against the recent code changes on the
master branch.

You are also very welcomed to interact on other issues and pull requests
irrelevant to release 2.7.0. They are piling up and we can do nothing right
now :)

I really hope we can ramp up release 2.7.0 very soon, and your
comments/efforts are appreciated. After that, I plan to continue the
discussion on release 3.0.

Cheers,
-Ian.

Re: slow on pull request and issue

Posted by yuhang xiu <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi, community
I personally encountered problems similar to @beiwei.
Before New Year's Day, I had a lot of work to do. There is not much time in
the last week to solve problems in the community.

My work will start to be easier next week, and I will fix it next week:
1. doc related pr @majinkai
2. @khan's related PR about AccessLogFilter.
3. Some code review for 2.7.0

Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com> 于2018年12月29日周六 下午5:13写道:

Posted by Imteyaz Khan <kh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for looking into this.

Posted by yuhang xiu <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi, all

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 6:33 PM LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree , Currently the community relies on the committer from  alibaba

That's something we do not want to see.
Actually we have committers and PMC members from Weidian, NetEase,
JingDong, Youzan, Didi, Handuyishe, and Rongguan[1].
The community real welcomes more people from companies other than
Alibaba to contribute to this project.
If you would like to contribute, feel free to let the community know
that, and we'd like to help you out!

[1] http://dubbo.apache.org/en-us/docs/developers/developers_dev.html

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: slow on pull request and issue

Posted by LiZhenNet <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 1:31 PM Imteyaz Khan <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 on this.
>
> One suggestion,as I see there are currently 162 contributor for dubbo
> core.  Lots of people who has participated in long past and may not be
> active in community in recent past may be due to some reason. Do you should
> we get in touch with them for their feedback as well support for community?

It is natural for contributors to be active and then become less
active in some days.
There may be various reasons, for example, changing jobs, too much
work to do and no longer have time to contribute, etc.
But new contributors will come. The key part I think is identify those
currently active contributors and let the community to grow.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: slow on pull request and issue

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
Peoples may join and leave due to variable reasons. Someone left because
they don't have enough time on open-sourcing right now, while some others
probably found out this project is boring.

I guess we cannot do anything for the former case except for developing
more committers. Once we have a fair big group of committers, I will not
worry about the slowness on pull request and issue any longer, since the
process rate will be still kept fast even if only a small portion of
committers keep active given the committer base is large. On the other
hand, we won't remove anyone from the community even he/she keeps silent
for a period of time, since we understand they don't have bandwidth on
Dubbo right now, and we expect they will come back some day in the future.

For the peoples who are still interested in this project, what we could do
together is to try our best to make this project more interesting, to make
this community more attractive. Every time when you file an issue, leave a
comment on pull request, you are making this project interesting a little
bit more, and every time when you initial a discussion, or reply others to
share your opinion in this mailing list, you are making this community more
attractive.

Just my two cents,
-Ian.

Posted by 田 小波 <ti...@outlook.com>.
> Maybe you can explain a bit more of what 996 is. :)

The following content from Baidu Encyclopedia:

The 996 working system refers to work at 9:00 on weekdays, off work at 9:00 pm,
1 hour (or less) at noon and evening, totaling more than 10 hours, and working 6 days a week.

Re: slow on pull request and issue

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: slow on pull request and issue

Posted by 华 钟明 <cr...@gmail.com>.
I also think that we should contact the recently inactive committer and collect their views on the community.

Best Regards!
Zhongming Hua

在 2019/1/3 下午1:31,“Imteyaz Khan”<kh...@gmail.com> 写入:

Posted by Imteyaz Khan <kh...@gmail.com>.