Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by srinivasch <sr...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/15 05:09:50 UTC

Axis2 vs Spring Webservice

My last application had Axis2 web service and used contract last approach. We
had a new requirement for creating a web service and I used Spring Web
service. A discussion came up in the meeting that why use Spring WS when we
already have the required Axis2 libraries to create new web service. I was
convincing my team because Spring has Contract first approach which is the
best way of creating and all other best points mention in the chapter 2 of
the documentation.

But their point was Axis 2 also has contract first.

I would really appreciate anyone since I am really new to web services and
still learning what is the difference between Axis 2 and Spring WS. I like
an elaborate answer for our better understanding.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Axis2 vs Spring Webservice

Posted by Nan Null <nu...@gmail.com>.
Don't follow contract first or last.  Follow what works best for the
software, you, future of the software and inter-operability.  Can you
develop with it quickly?  Does it have lots of bugs?  Stable?  Works with
other platform?  Extensible when you need it in the future?  Good
performance?  Easy to manage the code?

Contract first is really one of the dumbest idea, that works sometimes.  So,
I would use it when it works.  Basically, the WSDL is the one that dictates
everything.  The problem is that not all clients support any legal WSDL
throwing at it, making it less ideal.  So, at the end, the above paragraph
is what important.

So why it's dumb?  It's not the above alone.  The main problem is that if
people design WS to be portable between platforms (it's main idea), then why
would you need contract first or last?  Just code to WS, and the other party
following similar API would works.  Reality is that that is not the case.
So rise the contract first idea.

Many frameworks now use annotation to mark WS, so WSDL is not even the first
thing in the picture.  If that works, why bother with contract first?  There
are obviously other important factors than contract first.

TEST, TEST, TEST.

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Srinivas,

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:09 AM, srinivasch <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My last application had Axis2 web service and used contract last approach. We
> had a new requirement for creating a web service and I used Spring Web
> service. A discussion came up in the meeting that why use Spring WS when we
> already have the required Axis2 libraries to create new web service. I was
> convincing my team because Spring has Contract first approach which is the
> best way of creating and all other best points mention in the chapter 2 of
> the documentation.
>
> But their point was Axis 2 also has contract first.

Axis2 supports equally for both contract first and code first
approaches from its very early stages.

> I would really appreciate anyone since I am really new to web services and
> still learning what is the difference between Axis 2 and Spring WS. I like
> an elaborate answer for our better understanding.

The first factor is spring-ws only supports for contract first while
Axis2 supports for both approaches and much matured. Also Axis2
supports higher number of specs than Spring-ws [1] does and provide
better interoperability with other platforms.

In case of data binding both frameworks supports for wide range of
data bindings.personally I believe Axis2 ADB provides better
performance and WSDL2JAVA tool significantly reduce your development
time in contact first approach where Spring -ws does not provide such
tool.

You can use [2] [3] [4] [5] as references.

[1] - http://wiki.apache.org/ws/StackComparison
[2] - http://wso2.org/library/2873
[3] - http://wso2.org/library/2935
[4] - http://today.java.net/article/2006/08/07/contract-first-web-services-apache-axis2