Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ed Maher <ed...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/29 18:08:48 UTC

difference between jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4.exe and jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4.zip installations

I am running Tomcat 4.0.4 on Windows 2000.  I have
installed both the "jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4.exe" and the
"jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4.zip" packages and am
experiencing different behavior between the two
installations.

The 'exe' version was installed to: "C:\Program
Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0".

The 'zip' version was installed to:
"C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4"

I have a WAR that contains a servlet which calls the
rmiregistry (running locally) to access an object.  I
have deployed the same WAR on both installations.

When I start Tomcat installed from the 'zip' file, the
servlet works just fine.

When I start Tomcat installed from the 'exe' file, the
servlet causes a marshalling exception (I have
attached the stack trace).

I am starting Tomcat with the 'startup.bat' script
found in the 'bin' folder from each installation.

I have removed & reinstalled the 'exe' installation
and experienced the same problem so I assUme that I do
NOT have a corrupted installation.  Also, I had a
colleague try it out on her Win2K system and had the
exact same problem (i.e., it worked with the 'zip'
installation files but not with the 'exe' installation
files).

I compiled the WAR using ant-1.4.1 and I'm running
Java 1.3.1_02-b02.

Any idea as to what could be different between the two
installations?

Thanks!

-Ed

http://finance.yahoo.com