Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Adam Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/04/28 00:34:55 UTC

ant-dist and ant-testutil

BuildFileTest is used by some Depot builds to test it's Ant tasks.
BuildFileTest is within the jar produced by project ant-testutil.  This
project has ant-dist as a dependency, and this is a heavy dependency for
users of the single BuildFileTest class.

Nick and I are trying (partly as an exercise in using cut-down personal
Gumps) to set up a profile that just builds depot. We then run the integrate
with "depot*", which ought just pick the tree we need. [When resoruces are
ok (this isn't a huge server) and the webapp working, the list is at:
http://gump.chalko.com:8080/gump-forrest/buildLog.html]. Unfortunately the
ant-dist bogs down the build enormously.

Would it be a problem to add a simple project to the ant gump descriptor to
allow a project that calls the test-jar target but without the ant-dist
dependency, purely for folks who need that piece alone? If a full build was
occuring I assume a later ant-test (with full dependencies) would over-write
the jar. Much as this is 'odd' I can't see it being a major problem. Is it
too nasty?

Any other approachs/thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Adam

Re: ant-dist and ant-testutil

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Adam Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> Would it be a problem to add a simple project to the ant gump
> descriptor to allow a project that calls the test-jar target but
> without the ant-dist dependency, purely for folks who need that
> piece alone?

It may be a tad bit more complex than that since Ant's regexp
testsuite is included in the jar.  I'll try to move dependencies
around a little to see where we end up.

> If a full build was occuring I assume a later ant-test (with full
> dependencies) would over-write the jar.

Fortunately it would not.  If it did, you'd get file sharing
exceptions (at least on Windows) since the jar is on the CLASSPATH and
most JVMs don't like it if you change a jar on the CLASSPATH either.

Ant's test target does not create the jar, it would only compile some
additional classes and the tests get run against the testcases <work>
entry.

Stefan