Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/01 11:32:15 UTC

Fwd: An XML::Xerces Support Question

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Incley, Noel <no...@experian.com>
Date: Aug 1, 2006 5:48 AM
Subject: An XML::Xerces Support Question
To: jason@openinformatics.com
Cc: jason.e.stewart@gmail.com

Jason,

Are you still the guiding light and driving force behind XML::Xerces at
apache.org or have you moved on to another project?   I sent an e-mail
to p-dev@xerces.apache.org on 6/15/06 about problems trying to build
XML::Xerces using perl V5.8.2 under AIX V5.3 and I re-sent the same
e-mail 7/27/06, but, as yet, have not received a reply.   Admittedly,
I'm an open-source neophyte, and may, by accident, not have followed the
correct procedure.

Can you tell me if  p-dev@xerces.apache.org  is the correct e-mail
account to which to send requests for assistance with XML::Xerces and
whether support is still available for this software -- specific
software versions and other details are listed below.

Please let me know.

Many thanks,

Noel

---------------------

6/15/06

Hello,

I am having problems compiling XML::Xerces under AIX V5.3 and would
welcome any assistance you can offer.  However, Xerces-C compiles
successfully in this environment and I've successfully tested the
DOMCount and SAXCount Xerces-C samples.

Under AIX V5.2 there were a couple of issues to address (see end of
e-mail), but after some trial and error, I was able to compile, link and
test XML::Xerces successfully.  The versions of GNU make, Xerces-C,
XML::Xerces, VisualAge C/C++ are the same, but the version of perl on
the AIX V5.2 box is 5.8.0, whereas it is 5.8.2 on the AIX V5.3 box.

Please advise.

Many thanks ... Noel

Downloaded sources:
xerces-c-src_2_7_0.tar.gz
XML-Xerces-2.7.0-0.tar.gz
make-3.81.tar.gz

O/S:
$ uname
AIX
$ oslevel -r
5300-00

Perl version:
This is perl, v5.8.2 built for aix-thread-multi Copyright 1987-2003,
Larry Wall

AIX Compiler Version:
$ xlC_r  VisualAge C++ Professional / C for AIX Compiler, Version 6

GNU make version:
$ gmake -v
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006  Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free
software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty;
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. This
program built for powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0

AIX V5.3 environment Xerces-C successfully compiled and smoke-tested.
$ DOMCount /tmp/mytest.xml
/tmp/mytest.xml: 10 ms (1205 elems).
$ SAXCount /tmp/mytest.xml
/tmp/mytest.xml: 6 ms (1205 elems, 1205 attrs, 0 spaces, 33324 chars)

AIX V5.3 environment XML::Xerces build attempt:
$ perl Makefile.PL
Using XERCES_LIB = /mystuff/Xerces/xerces-c-src_2_7_0/lib
Using XERCES_INCLUDE = /mystuff/Xerces/xerces-c-src_2_7_0/include
using XERCES_CONFIG:
/mystuff/Xerces/xerces-c-src_2_7_0/src/xercesc/config.status
Found CXX      = xlC_r
Found CXXFLAGS =  -w -DNDEBUG -DXML_USE_NATIVE_TRANSCODER
-DXML_USE_INMEM_MESSAGELOADER -DXML_USE_PTHREADS
-DXML_USE_NETACCESSOR_SOCKET
Found LDFLAGS  =
Using Xerces-C version info from
/mystuff/Xerces/xerces-c-src_2_7_0/include/xercesc/util/XercesVersion.hp
Checking to see if libxerces is in your library path...Success!!
Using Xerces-C version: 2.7.0
Processing hints file hints/aix.pl
Writing Makefile for Handler
Writing Makefile for XML::Xerces

$ gmake
gmake -C Handler static
gmake[1]: Entering directory
`/workarea/mystuff/Xerces/XML-Xerces-2.7.0-0/Handler'
xlC_r -c  -I. -IHandler -I/mystuff/Xerces/xerces-c-src_2_7_0/include
-D_ALL_SOURCE -D_ANSI_C_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE -qmaxmem=16384
-qnoansialias -DUSE_NATIVE_DLOPEN -DNEED_PTHREAD_INIT -q32
-D_LARGE_FILES -qlonglong -O2   -DVERSION=\"\" -DXS_VERSION=\"\"
"-I/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE"
PerlCallbackHandler.cpp
"PerlCallbackHandler.cpp", line 55.18: 1540-1102 (W) "callbackObj" might
be used before it is set.
"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
201.28: 1540-0258 (S) A return value of type "group *" cannot be
initialized with an expression of type "void *".
"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
368.28: 1540-0258 (S) A return value of type "hostent *" cannot be
initialized with an expression of type "void *".
"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
549.28: 1540-0258 (S) A return value of type "char *" cannot be
initialized with an expression of type "void *".
"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
629.28: 1540-0258 (S) A return value of type "netent *" cannot be
initialized with an expression of type "void *".
"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
845.28: 1540-0258 (S) A return value of type "protoent *" cannot be
initialized with an expression of type "void *".
"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
884.28: 1540-0258 (S) A return value of type "protoent *" cannot be
initialized with an expression of type "void *".
"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
1013.52: 1540-0274 (S) The name lookup for "getpwent_r" did not find a
declaration.
"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
1049.28: 1540-0258 (S) A return value of type "passwd *" cannot be
initialized with an expression of type "void *".
"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
1162.28: 1540-0258 (S) A return value of type "servent *" cannot be
initialized with an expression of type "void *".
gmake[1]: *** [PerlCallbackHandler.o] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/workarea/mystuff/Xerces/XML-Xerces-2.7.0-0/Handler'
gmake: *** [blib/arch/auto/Handler/Handler.a] Error 2

--------
AIX V5.2  Work-arounds used: (probably not elegant solutions but
worked!):
"Xerces.cpp", line 1901.79: 1540-0256 (S) A parameter of type "int *"
cannot be initialized with an expression of type "bool *".
Changing line 1901 from "bool*" to "int*" allowed the compilation to
continue.
Used LD=xlC_r in the Makefile (created by running perl Makefile.PL) to
get successful link.

RE: An XML::Xerces Support Question

Posted by "Pluta, Edward" <Ed...@csgsystems.com>.
I've successfully built and we are running XML::xerces in production on
AIX5.2/5.1, although I used gcc/g++ to compile, since we don't have
xlr_c, for perl 5.8.2-5.8.8. Since the last node of the release is just
a maintainace increment I don't thing the perl core would change that
radically (I could be wrong). The one major difference that jumps out is
that it looks like you are using a multi threaded perl, we did not. I
did have to build a custom version of perl to 1. upgrade to 5.8.8 and 2.
to use the gcc/g++ compiler, although that was easier than installing
the xerces packages.

Wish I could offer more help but I don't have xlc_r to play with. Now if
you want to move to gcc..... ;)

Date: Aug 2, 2006 6:07 PM
Subject: RE: An XML::Xerces Support Question
To: jason.e.stewart@gmail.com

Jason,

Thank you for your reply!  I would welcome your assistance with the
compile errors I'm getting while trying to build XML::Xerces using perl
V5.8.2 under AIX V5.3.  I'm getting a truck load (see my original e-mail
for details) of errors like the samples below.  To my untrained eye it
looks like the method signatures of the perl core components changed
radically from V5.8.0 (as shipped with AIX V5.2) to V5.8.2 (as shipped
with AIX V5.3) and that may the root cause of my compilation blues.

I'm guessing it may be a swig issue and I've been frantically swigging
[but not hard liquor :-)] for a couple of days now, but I would truly
welcome any assistance you can offer based on your intimate knowledge of
Xerces.cpp, SWIG, Xerces-C, etc.

Many thanks ... Noel

"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
201.28: 1540-0258 (S) A return value of type "group *" cannot be
initialized with an expression of type "void *".
"/usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.2/aix-thread-multi/CORE/reentr.inc", line
368.28: 1540-0258 (S) A return value of type "hostent *" cannot be
initialized with an expression of type "void *".

> Are you still the guiding light and driving force behind XML::Xerces
at
> apache.org or have you moved on to another project?   I sent an e-mail
> to p-dev@xerces.apache.org on 6/15/06 about problems trying to build
> XML::Xerces using perl V5.8.2 under AIX V5.3 and I re-sent the same
> e-mail 7/27/06, but, as yet, have not received a reply.   Admittedly,
> I'm an open-source neophyte, and may, by accident, not have followed
> the correct procedure.

That was the correct thing to do! It was my fault - because the list is
configured to hold all messages from non-subscribers until I approve
them. Your messages didn't get approved in time, and so they were
discarded - again, my bad...

> Can you tell me if  p-dev@xerces.apache.org  is the correct e-mail
> account to which to send requests for assistance with XML::Xerces and
> whether support is still available for this software -- specific
> software versions and other details are listed below.

Yes and yes!

> I am having problems compiling XML::Xerces under AIX V5.3 and would
> welcome any assistance you can offer.  However, Xerces-C compiles
> successfully in this environment and I've successfully tested the
> DOMCount and SAXCount Xerces-C samples.
>
> Under AIX V5.2 there were a couple of issues to address (see end of
> e-mail), but after some trial and error, I was able to compile, link
> and test XML::Xerces successfully.  The versions of GNU make,
> Xerces-C, XML::Xerces, VisualAge C/C++ are the same, but the version
> of perl on the AIX V5.2 box is 5.8.0, whereas it is 5.8.2 on the AIX
V5.3 box.

Nice! Glad to hear it's working using xlc finally.

> AIX V5.2  Work-arounds used: (probably not elegant solutions but
> worked!):
> "Xerces.cpp", line 1901.79: 1540-0256 (S) A parameter of type "int *"
> cannot be initialized with an expression of type "bool *".
> Changing line 1901 from "bool*" to "int*" allowed the compilation to
> continue.
> Used LD=xlC_r in the Makefile (created by running perl Makefile.PL) to

> get successful link.

yes, the problem with bool is due to SWIG. I built it on linux, where
bool is int on gcc.

I'll see what I can do to make these automatic on AIX.

You mentioned support. Is there anything more that you are looking for?

Cheers, jas.

Fwd: An XML::Xerces Support Question

Posted by Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Noel,

Posted by Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi ed,

On 8/1/06, Pluta, Edward <Ed...@csgsystems.com> wrote:
> If he is the correct person please let me know as well. I have built
> XML::xerces on AIX5.2 and 5.1 for a couple of different versions of
> PERL, through 5.8.8, but I used g++ instead of xlc and was wondering who
> to send the updates to install it automatically from the configure
> script to.

This is the correct place to send any info. I'm still the maintainer,
but my activity goes up and down sometimes.

Cheers, jas.

RE: An XML::Xerces Support Question

Posted by "Steven N. Hirsch" <hi...@btv.ibm.com>.
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Pluta, Edward wrote:

> Here's what I got. The directory names were changed to protect the
> innocent. Looks like everything is OK to me?. The guy actually doing the
> perl development says the exception handling is working for his SAX
> parser.

Yup. That looks fine.  The last time I tried (about 3 years ago, granted),
most of the tests that throw exceptions on various errors would dump core
and spit out a host of "..dubious" messages.  Good to see that the issue
is gone!

Posted by "Pluta, Edward" <Ed...@csgsystems.com>.
Here's what I got. The directory names were changed to protect the
innocent. Looks like everything is OK to me?. The guy actually doing the
perl development says the exception handling is working for his SAX
parser.

make[1]: Entering directory
`/var/data/...../perl/XML-Xerces-2.7.0-0/Handler'
make[1]: Leaving directory
`var/data...../perl/XML-Xerces-2.7.0-0/Handler'
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /opt/app/...../tools/bin/perl
"-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib',
'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/00basic.................ok
t/00core..................ok
t/01utf8..................ok
t/actualCast..............ok
        2/9 skipped: return of CallbackHandler's not implemented
t/AttributeList...........ok
t/Attributes..............ok
t/DOMAttr.................ok
t/DOMBuilder..............ok
        1/15 skipped: DOMErrorHandler not implemented
t/DOMCount................ok
t/DOMCreate...............ok
t/DOMDocument.............ok
t/DOMElement.............."my" variable $doc masks earlier declaration
in same scope at t/DOMElement.t line 140.
ok
t/DOMEntity...............ok
        1/4 skipped: entities still not working
t/DOMException............ok
t/DOMImplementation.......ok
t/DOMNamedNodeMap.........ok
t/DOMNode.................ok
t/DOMNodeIterator.........ok
t/DOMNodeList.............ok
t/DOMParser...............ok
t/DOMPrint................ok
t/DOMTreeWalker...........ok
t/DOMWriter...............ok
t/EntityResolver..........ok
t/Grammar.................ok
t/InputSource.............ok
t/LocalFileInputSource....ok
t/MemBufInputSource.......ok
t/PerlErrorHandler........ok
        1/6 skipped: temporarily not returning old handler
t/SAX2Count...............ok
t/SAX2XMLReader...........ok
t/SAXCount................ok
t/SAXException............ok
t/SAXParser...............ok
t/Schema..................ok
t/StdInInputSource........ok
t/URLInputSource..........ok
t/UTF8....................ok
t/XercesDOMParser.........ok
t/XMLException............ok
t/XMLUni..................ok
t/XMLUri..................ok
t/XMLURL..................ok
All tests successful, 5 subtests skipped.
Files=43, Tests=35542, 74 wallclock secs (24.43 cusr + 12.66 csys =
37.09 CPU)
make[1]: Entering directory
`/var/data/...../perl/XML-Xerces-2.7.0-0/Handler'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `test'.
make[1]: Leaving directory

Posted by "Steven N. Hirsch" <hi...@btv.ibm.com>.

RE: XML::Xerces API List