Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com> on 2014/09/06 02:05:03 UTC

[fileupload] - Question about uploading additional files other than the ones in the form?

Hello all,

I am basically uploading a file to my server, but within that file contains path information to images that also need to be uploaded.  I am looking to read the file mid stream and get the data for the images to upload.  It seems I am able to do this, but if this is not possible will I be able save the file, read it, and then be able to get these images?

I am curious about how I will go about grabbing the additional files?  I see that streaming works with InputStream from JavaIO as well as something from CommonsIO, so I figured I could configure something to work with the fileupload stream.

I also thought that I could possibly try to create a form through my servlet and pass the data through that, but I figured this would be the less favorable approach.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts I would appreciate it... Thanks!

Re: [fileupload] - Question about uploading additional files other than the ones in the form?

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So again, user selects file, I read file, then select other files from their system that are needed for the first file, and upload them all up at the same time.

So "other files" like, say "/etc/passwd"?  :-)

Short answer: No, you can't do this, at least with a standard browser
sending form data.

If you write your own upload client and convince people to install and
use it you can allow all kinds of insanely insecure operations.

HTH,
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan

RE: [fileupload] - Question about uploading additional files other than the ones in the form?

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.
 I don't really have to reply to this, but I will anyways.

My scenario has been the same since the start, and I have been helped by a few people in my quest to get this done.  I am still using fileupload, but the main point is hiow do I pass the data TO THE SERVLET TO DO THE FILEUPLOADING STILL.  From the other answers provided it seems I can still send my data the same way, and I can parse it the same way.

Thanks for the link willl check it out.  The only files I will be uploading in addition to the initial file, are imagines.

Makes sense they are the last step, figured there was a way I could do something in between there though, but security issues....

The predefined action fup.cgi is a default action that apache FileUpload has provided, this is NOT MY CODE but a sample.

IF you would like to see what my servlet code does, then go here http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-fileupload/streaming.html  my actual action is /Upload since you seem to care about that.

If someone wants to know what my servlet code is doing, then ask, there is no need to be upset over something that honestly doesn't even concern the scope of my question.

The thing is that action cannot do what I need to do via my servlet, as others have pointed out, so I need to do this with a client on their desktop, unless you have some sort of way that I can do it via the browser, but according to Hassan that's " NO NO NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO" :)

>> > Its been a long week for me and I can tell by your testiness its been a long week for youBe professional and you will get brief appropriate responses.
> Provide no info and short testy insults to those who are trying to help you solve YOUR problem and your situation will be exacerbated

It's been a long week for you?  I can tell by the way you address this question and with rude responses that you've had a "long week."  Maybe you should calm down, there is NO REASON to attack me the way you did, or address me the way you did. There is no need to tell someone else to be professional when you are attacking them.  I have gotten plenty of nice responses, from nice people without the need for insults, this isn't 3rd grade anymore.

I provided plenty of info, and the only person who is insulting others is yourself.  How rude can you be, honestly, I haven't done anything, or said anything mean to anyone, and I have thanked everyone for their time.

Maybe you shouldn't try to help people if you are going to have such an attitude about it.  It's funny how there are always so many nice people who want to help out, but there is always 1-2 know it alls who think they are better than everyone else, and if they don't like your question they will try to ridicule you.

To anyone who thinks I was mean to you, then I apologize, as I am in no way trying to be mean to anyone, and in no way trying to be rude about my questions.  I thank each and every one of you for the kindness of helping me out during my confusion.  I appreciate all the answers that have been provided.

Thank you for your time.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for that, will keep that in mind.

Will do, I am trying to be as secure as possible, but also try to be as simple as possible.

I originally was thinking of just writing a client application to upload the files, and then have people login to the web application and do what they need to do their.

I figured it would be easier to have everything as part of a web application so they woudln't have to download anything.

I figured having 2 seperate things might annoy people, but honestly it seems that it will save me time and it seems like what I am tryign to do is out of the scope of a basic file upload.

Sadly everything would have worked fine if I didn't have to upload additional files.

Also, what probably would have also hit me, is that in the file I am uploading, I have to read an MS Access DB, then from there get the URL's to the images to upload.  I've seen examples of JSP with Ms Access DB, but probably would have issues with that too.  I am going to use "UCanAccess" for that so hopefully everything works well with that.

I guess I'll build the application, have it do all of the file reading and stuff on their computer, and then send a multipart form data to my servlet to process and upload?

Thanks for the help once again Hassan, I appreciate your time and patience with my and my questions.

All the best.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.
Yup, I got that haha...  That's why I said you seemed to say.

I found this http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html when googling it.

Thanks for the links will check it out.

Yeah I understand I have to build it, was just curious if I would have limitations like I am having now.  Don't want to keep running in circles and having tasks that I cannot complete :P.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.

Alrighty, thanks, so do you have any recommendations for what I should be looking for to send these requests?  I'm assuming something I do will send the data as a multi part form, which my servlet up on the server will connect up with?  I believe a buddy of mine mentioned "Restful Web Services?" for certain things that might be for this?

I understand the client-server relationship, but you seemed to say I could do what I need to do from my browser, which again is what we were talking about isn't this the whole problem with security issues, or what exactly are you suggesting?  When you said "browser client" I thought you were referring to something "special."

I guess I will go look for a client library to work with, do you have any recommendations?  I bet there is so many :(.  So many new things I've been learning, so many still to learn :).

I have probably not, do you have links by any chance?  I tried looking up the former, but got a bunch of unsure pages.  I have been learning from various sources.  Right now I'm working with JSP and Servlets/Pojos as well as JS and some JS libraries.  It's fun so far.

Also I just thought of this, but are we saying that I can basically have an application that is installed on their system that when I try to upload the main file, it will communicate with my application client to upload the rest of the files, or do I have to do it all from the application client itself?  If so then does the application have to be running when they do this, or can it be activated on the web?  Either automatically (seems like a security issues, but it's only turning on my application) or with a manual button from the web?

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.
Okay so I generate the requests via my client to allow the upload of all of these files, but it has to be done from something on their machine though, and not a browser?  It seems I could use FTP upload instead since I'm on the client, but your'e saying either works so I will stick with this.

Not too sure what you saying before about "client browsers."  I looked it up and something simuilar to Node.js or Vert.x popped up, so I'm not sure if that is what you were referring to.

I am relatively new to web programming (but not Java or programming in general) so I am sorry if I am confused about something, or confused about what something means.

Thank youf or all of the help everyone.... :)

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.
I don't know what you mean by a browser as the client, isn't that normally the issue, which is why I'm we are discussing ways to go around this?

I don't know what i'm doing at this point, just trying to find out ways to make this work, but a little confused.

I can't use File Upload with a client-side application ont he desktop though right?

If you are saying I can use my browser as the client and still do what I need to do without creating another app then that would be best, but yeah still confused on where to go next.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.
Hmm well this sucks...  I understand the security concerns, but figured there could be some easy way, but I guess it will be difficult.   All I wanted to do was upload images :(.

 So would I need to rewrite everything now for an client-side application, which I'm assuming wouldn't even work with FileUpload but more with FTP?

Or would I still use my current upload methods, but had an application on their side that will allow me to upload the additional files?

It seems like I'm goign to have to do everything fromt he client side now....

thanks all, much appreciated.

Posted by Bernd <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.

RE: [OT] Re: [fileupload] - Question about uploading additional files other than the ones in the form?

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you both very much.  I had no idea what his issue was, and I don't want to have issues with people when it comes to programming concerns and chatting, I find our industry is extremely warm, but there are a lot of know it alls and rude people out there as well, which is why I mentioned there are always 1-2 in every forum I find.

The guy had a bad week, tried to take it out on me, really, really sad.

I closed my email yesterday to not deal with him, so I thank you both for having my back and trying to resolve this. (I thought I was getting banned lol :(  ).

I thank everyone for their help in trying to help me with my issue, thank you guys for everything.

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

RE: [OT] - Can anyone add me to the Shiro mailing list?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Konrad-

start here
http://shiro.apache.org/mailing-lists.html

a few caveats ...before you send something out:
1)eliminate any proprietary info
2)be every so careful what you say as many people other than apache folk subscribe to this list
3)if you *think* you found a bug (anything which does not conform to published spec) file the bug here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:summary-panel

M-

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.
Yay for Nabble :D.....

> That is how the allow group works. If you are in the allow group you can
> post to the list but you don't receive e-mails. It is intended for
> things like folks who post from multiple addresses but only want to get
> one copy of the emails from the mailing list.

Gotcha, so I guess I was subscribed via that, and not the mailing list which clears up some things.

> Strange.

I always end up finding (or causing) some bug somewhere lol :p.

I guess this is all set, but I would definitely look into the shiro subscriptions to see if something is weird.  I am using Hotmail, so I don't know if that is it (even though the commons one accepted me).

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.
I tried joining the Shiro mailing list a few weeks ago and I couldn't.  I replied to this one exactly the same and got a confirmation.  Every time I tried to confirm with the Shiro mailing list, nothing.

After I subscribed to this one, I tried it again, and nothing.

Apparently my shiro user posts from the forum are making it to the mailing list, but I am not getting mail sent to this email.

I tried to send the mail to the correct subscription, I tried to confirm multiple times through multiple channels, and nothing.

There was something for "contacting the owner" of the user-group, but I didn't get an email either.

Sorry to bother everyone, I just figured tyhat someone on here might have access to it.

Apparently someone was just banned for attacking me in another post in FileUpload, by a member who said he also banned him via Tomcat mailing list, which I'm assuming is not connected to this either...

Hopefully this works out, but I'm glad I can still use the forums....

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/09/2014 20:29, Konrad Zuse wrote:
> I'm not sure you understood my question correctly, because I have no idea what your answer is supposed to be.

Konrad,

I think you hit the nail on the head. For background Martin has already
got himself banned from the Tomcat users mailing list for posting
to accept there was anything wrong with his responses and refusing to
take on board the feedback he was given both privately and publicly on
how to make his responses more useful.

> Lets try this again.

My personal recommendation is to configure a procmailrc rule that routes
any mail from Martin to /dev/null.

Mark

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Konrad Zuse <th...@hotmail.com>.
You are correct, yes.  So it's impossible to do what I want to do?  I cannot fake a form to do this itself via a servlet, but only with an application on the user's machine?  What is special about the multipart form in my jsp page that uploads the file, that I couldn't do the same thing in a servlet form?  I guess I still have to "select" a file?  There is no way to fake data into the form?  I know there is the hidden fields, but I don't think that will work.

I am trying to do this all via the web to make things easier and not have 2 separate applications in place.

The form obviously has access to the user's machine, so I don't know why we couldn't have that same access, some way?

Posted by Thad Humphries <th...@gmail.com>.