Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2004/11/22 14:14:21 UTC

Using htmlArea 'output' with SVG

I'd like to be able to use htmlArea to allow my users
to create content that gets displayed in an SVG.

Although they will only be given access to some buttons
when creating text content, one fucntion required is
that of subscripting.  I can match on an <sub> element
and create the necessary SVG equivalent, BUT it seems
as though htmlArea "codes" are wrrittne out to file
as, for example, &lt;sub&gt;2&lt.

In addition, Unicode characters are not handled properly.

Does anyone know how to get htmlArea to store XML
or how else to perform the necessary conversions?

Thanks
Derek

believed to be clean.

Re: Using htmlArea 'output' with SVG

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Ugo Cei wrote:
> Derek Hohls wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to get htmlArea to store XML or how else to
>> perform the necessary conversions?
>

> Parse the value of HTMLArea's content using an XML parser. HTMLArea
> should produce well-formed XHTML most of the times, but when it doesn't
> (like when you paste content from MSWord, for instance), passing it
> through Neko or JTidy will fix it.

Daisy already has a HTMLCleaningConvertor which creates valid XHTML. Only needs
to be added to CocoonForms ... patches are welcome :-)

--
Reinhard

Re: Using htmlArea 'output' with SVG

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Derek Hohls wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get htmlArea to store XML
> or how else to perform the necessary conversions?

Parse the value of HTMLArea's content using an XML parser. HTMLArea
should produce well-formed XHTML most of the times, but when it doesn't
(like when you paste content from MSWord, for instance), passing it
through Neko or JTidy will fix it.

	Ugo