Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Juan C. Sanz" <ju...@hotmail.com> on 2011/12/14 19:46:29 UTC

Images in Writer

Working with documentation which have many figures it brings me some doubts:

  * In which format are the images stolen in a Writer document?
  * If I paste an image from the clipboard, is it converted to any
    format? is it compressed in any way?
  * Is the result of insert an image an after that embed it different to
    paste from the clipboard? (in relation with size and quality)
  * Is it the same insert an embed an image file in BMP format as in JPG
    format?

Regards
Juan C. Sanz

Re: Images in Writer

Posted by "Juan C. Sanz" <ju...@hotmail.com>.
El 14/12/2011 20:52, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann escribió:
> Hi,
>
> On 14.12.2011 19:46, Juan C. Sanz wrote:
>> Working with documentation which have many figures it brings me some
>> doubts:
>>
>>    * In which format are the images stolen in a Writer document?
>
> The images inserted in a text document in Writer as embedded ones are
> stored in their given/original format, if the native file format
> OpenDocument (ODF) is used to store the text document.
>
>>    * If I paste an image from the clipboard, is it converted to any
>>      format? is it compressed in any way?
>
> As far as I know the image is taken as it is provided by clipboard.
> This is more or less controlled by the source which filled the clipboard.
>
>>    * Is the result of insert an image an after that embed it
>> different to
>>      paste from the clipboard? (in relation with size and quality)
>
> I am not sure if I get your question right here.
> Are you asking, if pasting an image (using the clipboard) and
> inserting an image (using Menu Insert - Picture - From File) produce
> different results?
> If yes, then it depends - see previous reply - on the source which
> filled the clipboard.
> When I (on my Windows 7) copy a JPEG image file from the Windows
> Explorer and paste it into a text document of the Writer it results in
> the same image as if I insert the same JPEG image file via Menu Insert
> - Picture - From File.
> But, may when you open the same JPEG image file in a certain other
> application and copy from this application then the result may be
> different depending on what this application would provide as image
> data to the clipboard.
>
>>    * Is it the same insert an embed an image file in BMP format as in
>> JPG
>>      format?
>>

> I do not think so, but image experts would correct me here.
> BMP and JPG, interpreted as different file formats to stored images,
> namely Bitmap and JPEG, are different. Thus, the image data provided
> by these file formats is typically different. I am sure that you can
> create a BMP file and a JPG file from a certain image which more or
> less contain the same image data, but I am not an expert in this area.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Best regards, Oliver.
>
> P.S.: for further user related questions you can also show up at
> ooo-users@incubator.apache.org mailing list or in the user community
> forum http://user.services.openoffice.org/

Thanks
I had asked in local users lists and most of them unknewn the answer an
sujects to ask to the programmers becouse they should know how the
images are stolen.
Regards
Juan C.

Re: Images in Writer

Posted by "Juan C. Sanz" <ju...@hotmail.com>.
El 14/12/2011 20:52, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann escribió:
> Hi,
>
> On 14.12.2011 19:46, Juan C. Sanz wrote:
>> Working with documentation which have many figures it brings me some
>> doubts:
>>
>>    * In which format are the images stolen in a Writer document?
>
> The images inserted in a text document in Writer as embedded ones are
> stored in their given/original format, if the native file format
> OpenDocument (ODF) is used to store the text document.
>
>>    * If I paste an image from the clipboard, is it converted to any
>>      format? is it compressed in any way?
>
> As far as I know the image is taken as it is provided by clipboard.
> This is more or less controlled by the source which filled the clipboard.
>
>>    * Is the result of insert an image an after that embed it
>> different to
>>      paste from the clipboard? (in relation with size and quality)
>
> I am not sure if I get your question right here.
> Are you asking, if pasting an image (using the clipboard) and
> inserting an image (using Menu Insert - Picture - From File) produce
> different results?
> If yes, then it depends - see previous reply - on the source which
> filled the clipboard.
> When I (on my Windows 7) copy a JPEG image file from the Windows
> Explorer and paste it into a text document of the Writer it results in
> the same image as if I insert the same JPEG image file via Menu Insert
> - Picture - From File.
> But, may when you open the same JPEG image file in a certain other
> application and copy from this application then the result may be
> different depending on what this application would provide as image
> data to the clipboard.
>
>>    * Is it the same insert an embed an image file in BMP format as in
>> JPG
>>      format?
>>

> I do not think so, but image experts would correct me here.
> BMP and JPG, interpreted as different file formats to stored images,
> namely Bitmap and JPEG, are different. Thus, the image data provided
> by these file formats is typically different. I am sure that you can
> create a BMP file and a JPG file from a certain image which more or
> less contain the same image data, but I am not an expert in this area.
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Best regards, Oliver.
>
> P.S.: for further user related questions you can also show up at
> ooo-users@incubator.apache.org mailing list or in the user community
> forum http://user.services.openoffice.org/

Thanks
I had asked in local users lists and most of them didn't know the answer
and sujects to ask to the programmers becouse they should know how the
images are stolen.
Regards
Juan C.

Re: Images in Writer