Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/29 10:38:18 UTC

[GSOC] Community Bonding Period

Hi Dharmesh, Meng, Ian, Nguyen and Shiva,

Congratulations again on being selected for the 2013 Google Summer of Code.

The program has started and we are now in "community bonding period". On June 17th you will officially start to code.

I will mentor Dharmesh and Meng
Abhi will mentor Ian
Hugo will mentor Nguyen
Kelcey will mentor Shiva
I will act as overall coordinator.

While these are your official mentors from a Google perspective, the entire CloudStack community will help you.

There are a few things to keep in mind:
-The timeline: Check [0]. Note that there are evaluations throughout the program and that if progress is not satisfactory you can be dropped from the program. Hopefully with terrific mentoring from us all at CloudStack this will not happen and you will finish the program with flying colors.

-Email: At the Apache Software Foundation, official communication happen via email, so make sure you are registered to the dev@cloudstack.apache.org (you are). This is a high traffic list, so remember to setup mail filters and be sure to keep the GSOC emails where you can read them, without filters you will be overwhelmed and we don't want that to happen. When you email the list for a GSOC specific question, just put [GSOC] at the start of the subject line.  I CC you in this email but will not do it afterwards and just email dev@cloudstack.apache.org

-IRC: For daily conversation and help, we use IRC. Install an IRC client and join the #cloudstack and #cloudstack-dev on irc.freenode.net [1]. Make yourself none and learn a few IRC tricks.

-JIRA: Our ticketing system is JIRA [2], create an account and browse JIRA, you should already know where your project is described (which ticket number ?). As you start working you will create tickets and subtasks that will allow us to track progress. Students having to work on Mesos, Whirr and Provisionr will be able to use the same account.

-Review Board [3]: This is the web interface to submit patches when you are not an official Apache committer. Create an account on review board.

-Git: To manage the CloudStack source code we use git [4]. You will need to become familiar with git. I strongly recommend that you create a personal github [5] account. If you are not already familiar with git, check my screencast [6].

-Wiki: All our developer content is on our wiki [7]. Browse it, get an account and create a page about your project in the Student Project page [8].

-Website: I hope you already know our website :) [9]

-CloudStack University: To get your started and get a tour of CloudStack, you can watch CloudStack University [10]

Expectations for bonding period:
*To get you on-board I would like to ask each of you to send an email introducing yourself in couple sentences, describe your project (couple sentences plus link to the JIRA entry and the wiki page you created), confirm that you joined IRC and if you registered a nick tell us what it is and finally confirm that you created an account on review board and JIRA.

*By the end of the period, I would like to see your first patch submitted. It will be your GSOC proposal in docbook format contributed to a GSOC guide I will create. There is no code writing involved, this will just serve as a way to make sure you understand the process of submitting a patch and will be the start of a great documentation of our GSOC efforts. More on that later

On behalf of everyone at CloudStack and especially your mentors (Abhi, Kelcey, Hugo and myself) , welcome and let's have fun coding.

-Sebastien

[0] - http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013
[1] - http://www.freenode.net
[2] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK
[3] - https://reviews.apache.org/dashboard/
[4] - http://git-scm.com
[5] - https://github.com
[6] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c5JIW4onGk&list=PLb899uhkHRoZCRE00h_9CRgUSiHEgFDbC&index=5
[7] - https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/
[8] - https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/student-projects.html
[9] - http://cloudstack.apache.org
[10] - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb899uhkHRoZCRE00h_9CRgUSiHEgFDbC

Re: [GSOC] Community Bonding Period

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.
Sure, Sebgoa.

Hi all :-)

My name is Nguyen Anh Tu, a Computer Network and Telecommunication student
at Hanoi University of Science and Technology, Vietnam. My major is
computer networking, but I also have a strongly interesting in distribute
computing, storage system and virtualization technology.

This summer, I'll do the project named "Add Xen/XCP support for native GRE
SDN controller", jira ticket
1779<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1779>.
This project aims to make Xen/XCP work with the native SDN controller in
CloudStack, firstly try with XCP 1.6.1. I have to look around some of the
other SDN implementations, try them and then make sure the native SDN
module is implemented like a regular SDN solution. Further work, I'll try
to integrate an Openflow controller (Floodlight, Beacon, POX, NOX) to
CloudStack. My full proposal can be found here:
https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/ngtuna/1

I have created my accounts on JIRA, review board, Github and wiki.

IRC nickname: tuna1
Skype nickname: ng.tuna
JIRA, wiki username: tuna
Github: ng.tuna

wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/ovs-tunnel-manager-for-cloudstack.html
jira: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1779

Looking forward to great summer. Very happy to join this community :-)

Thanks.

--

N.g.U.y.e.N.A.n.H.t.U

Re: [GSOC] Community Bonding Period

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Nguyen,

Posted by Shiva Teja <sh...@gmail.com>.
Oops, pressed send by mistake.

Yes, the wrapper API will use Flask.

Posted by Kelcey Jamison Damage <ke...@bbits.ca>.
I agree with Chip, lets keep all discussion open, and we can create a [DISCUSS] thread if need be.

I am currently working on a Flask based UI/API for cloud platforms management(The layer above CloudStack).

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:42:40PM +0530, Shiva Teja wrote:
> I was about to send an email off-list with updates.

On-list is best please (probably with a distinct subject like to start a
new thread).

Welcome by the way!

Re: [GSOC] Community Bonding Period

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Shiva Teja <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hey Kelcey,

Posted by Kelcey Jamison Damage <ke...@bbits.ca>.

Posted by Shiva Teja <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dharmesh Kakadia <dh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I am Dharmesh and I will be working on integrating mesos with cloudstack. I
am MS by Research student at IIIT-H (International Institute of Information
Technology, Hyderabad, India). I love large scale distributed systems and
data processing frameworks, specifically interested in resource management.

The aim of the project is to integrate Apache mesos with cloudstack. This
will make it easy to use cloudstack-provisioned infrastructure for data
processing (hadoop,spark,begel,MPI...). I plan to extend stackmate
(cloudformation service) to provision mesos clusters.

I have created accounts on apache wiki, review board and jira as
dharmesh.kakadia.

jira : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1784
wiki :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Integration+project+to+deploy+and+use+Mesos+on+a+CloudStack+based+cloud
(I had messed up a little bit while creating wiki page. I think I have
cleaned it. Point me if some of that is still there)

Full proposal:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/dharmeshkakadia/1
Github: https://github.com/dharmeshkakadia/

I am on irc with nick Dharmesh.

Looking forward to a Big (Data+Cloud) summer. :)

Thanks,
Dharmesh

Re: [GSOC] Community Bonding Period

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <cl...@aprateek.com>.
Welcome Ian !

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 04:38:18AM -0400, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> Hi Dharmesh, Meng, Ian, Nguyen and Shiva,

Welcome all! Exciting proposals and hope to see them in CloudStack at
the end of summer.

> Congratulations again on being selected for the 2013 Google Summer of Code.
>
> The program has started and we are now in "community bonding period". On June 17th you will officially start to code.
>
> I will mentor Dharmesh and Meng
> Abhi will mentor Ian
> Hugo will mentor Nguyen
> Kelcey will mentor Shiva
> I will act as overall coordinator.

--
Prasanna.,

------------------------
Powered by BigRock.com

Re: [GSOC] Community Bonding Period

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Thanks for the introduction. Looks like you all are set with wiki and jira access and privileges.

I now would like to have you do two "house keeping" things to  get you on your way to your respective projects:

1-Use your newly acquired JIRA privileges to create sub-tasks for your main JIRA project ticket.
Enter as many sub-tasks as you want. You can stick to the ones from your proposal.
Assign those new tasks to yourself. Meaning: "grab the ticket"

2-I would like to have you submit your first patche(s) during this bonding period.
I just made this commit:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=commit;h=8fa8f08af9d97e6f12aded1361ef2a7dfe4d9012
It creates a new GSoC Guide in the CloudStack source.

You need to:
-checkout the master branch
-install publican and figure out how to build this new guide
-add a new chapter in the guide, which corresponds to your project (basically paste your proposal)
-create a patch with git.
-submit the patch via review board.

Once you guys do this, we can actually start working on the details of the projects.

Remember that I have a few screencasts:
-git: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c5JIW4onGk&list=PLb899uhkHRoZCRE00h_9CRgUSiHEgFDbC&index=5
-translation of documentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coVeK1QuIxM&list=PLb899uhkHRoZCRE00h_9CRgUSiHEgFDbC&index=2
I show some publican commands in the translation screencast.

If you have any issues, reach out on IRC, or ask questions on the list.

Cheers,

-Sebastien

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by "Han,Meng" <me...@ufl.edu>.
Hi Chip,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <je...@gmail.com>.
This strikes me as a nice opportunity to make an enjoyable video! Since we
have our videographer Gregg available for the summer, let's explore the
possibility of making a video about the GSoC participants' experience.
Seems like that could be a fun video to make, plus very motivating for
other new CloudStack contributors to view!

I wonder if Google would have any restrictions about using the name GSoC in
a video, etc., but we could check with them.

Jessica T.