Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by Zach Hoffman <za...@zrhoffman.net> on 2020/08/13 16:34:29 UTC

Migrating to ci-builds.apache.org from builds.apache.org

As noted in #dev in the ATC slack yesterday, our Jenkins jobs aren't
getting run, but the issue isn't a simple "Other projects' jobs are
monopolizing the runners".

If you go to builds.apache.org, there is this banner:
> IMPORTANT: This Jenkins server will be turned off on the 15th August,
please migrate your jobs!! See the builds@a.o and/or

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/re974eed417a1bc294694701d5c91b4bf92689fcf32a4c91f169be87d@
<builds.apache.org>

Initial message from "[IMPORTANT] - Migration to ci-builds.a.o" on the
builds.apache.org mailing list (
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/re974eed417a1bc294694701d5c91b4bf92689fcf32a4c91f169be87d@
<builds.apache.org> ):

> Hi All,
>
> This NOTICE is for everyone on builds.apache.org. We are migrating to a
new
> Cloudbees based Client Master called https://ci-builds.apache.org. The
> migrations of all jobs needs to be done before the switch off date of 15th
> August 2020, so you have a maximum of 4 weeks.
>
> There is no tool or automated way of migrating your jobs, the
> differences in the platforms, the plugins and the setup makes it
impossible
> to do in a safe way. So, you all need to start creating new jobs on
> ci-infra.a.o and then , when you are happy, turn off your old builds on
> builds.a.o.
>
> There are currently 4 agents over there ready to take jobs, plus a
floating
> agent which is shared amongst many masters (more to come). I will migrate
> away 2 more agents from builds.a.o to ci-builds.a.o every few days, and
> will keep an eye of load across both and adjust accordingly.
>
> If needed, create a ticket on INFRA jira for any issues that crop up, or
> email here on builds@a.o. there may be one or two plugins we need to
> install/tweak etc.
>
> We will be not using 'Views' at the top level, but rather we will take
> advantage of 'Folders Plus' - each project will get its own Folder and
have
> authorisation access to create/edit jobs etc within that folder. I will
> create these folders as you ask for them to start with. This setup allows
> for credentials isolation amongst other benefits, including but not
limited
> to exclusive agents (Controlled Agents) for your own use , should you have
> any project targeted donations of agents.
>
> As with other aspects of the ASF, projects can choose to just enable all
> committers access to their folder, just ask.
>
> We will re-use builds.apache.org as a CNAME to ci-builds.a.o but will not
> be setting up any forwarding rules or anything like that.
>
> So, please, get started *now *on this so you can be sure we are all
> completed before the final cutoff date of 15th August 2020.
>
> Any questions - I expect a few (dozen :) ) - ask away and/or file INFRA
> tickets.
>
> Hadoop and related projects have their own migration path to follow, same
> cut off date, Cassandra, Beam, CouchDB have already migrated and are doing
> very well in their new homes.
>
> Lets get going ...
>
> --
>
> *Gavin McDonald*
> Systems Administrator
> ASF Infrastructure Team

2 days until the 15th. Does anyone have access to
https://ci-builds.apache.org/ yet?

On your mark, get set, go,

Zach

Re: Migrating to ci-builds.apache.org from builds.apache.org

Posted by Dave Neuman <ne...@apache.org>.
Does GHA also host the builds for downloads?
One nice thing about Jenkins is that it hosts helper builds that we can
point people in the community to.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Migrating to ci-builds.apache.org from builds.apache.org

Posted by Zach Hoffman <za...@zrhoffman.net>.
Yes, GHA lets you persist artifacts, and those artifacts and be whatever
you want. They stick around for 90 days.

-Zach

Posted by ocket 8888 <oc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Gray, Jonathan" <Jo...@comcast.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@gmail.com>.