Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Eric Lease Morgan <em...@nd.edu> on 2005/02/13 20:15:35 UTC

tei tables -> fo -> pdf through fop

Does anybody here have experience converting TEI tables -> FO -> PDF
using fop?

I am (slowly) marking up sets of etexts in TEI/XML. I plan to provide
full-text searching against the collection and disseminated the whole
thing in various ebook formats. You can see what have done so far here:

   http://infomotions.com/alex2/

I have written various xslt stylesheets to convert my TEI to HTML,
SHTML, and plain text. My stylesheet to convert TEI to FO has hit a
roadblock when it comes to tables. It only seems to support fixed-width
cells and wants to know exactly how many columns there will be in each
table. Given the wide variety of table types I am to encounter, this
seem rather limiting. I am having a tough time writing a TEI -> FO
stylesheet that FOP can use. I'm getting desperate, and I'm about to
mark up my tables as pre-formatted paragraph. Ick.

Does anybody here convert their TEI files into PDF documents, and if
so, how do you handle table data?

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame

Re: tei tables -> fo -> pdf through fop

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
> roadblock when it comes to tables. It only seems to support fixed-width
> cells and wants to know exactly how many columns there will be in each
> table. Given the wide variety of table types I am to encounter, this
> seem rather limiting. I am having a tough time writing a TEI -> FO
> stylesheet that FOP can use. I'm getting desperate, and I'm about to
> mark up my tables as pre-formatted paragraph.

There's some code in the XSL list archives for determining
the number of columns for HTML and DocBooc (OASIS) tables,
TI tables shouldn't be much more difficult. As for the fixed
column width: this is indeed a problem, you might have to
guess or analyze the table content, using recursive templates.

J.Pietschmann