Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by "kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com" <ku...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/10 06:37:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] Hive/HBase Integration

Hello all,

So last week, Myself, Brock Noland and Nick Dimiduk got a chance to present
some of the work we have been doing in the Hive/HBase integration space at
HBaseCon 2015 (slides here[1] for anyone interested). One of the
interesting things that we noted at this conference was that even though
this was an HBase conference, *SQL on HBase* was by far the most popular
theme with talks on Apache Phoenix, Trafodion, Apache Kylin, Apache Drill
and a SQL-On-HBase panel to compare these and other technologies.

I personally feel that with the existing work, we have come a long way but
still have work to do and would need more love to make this a top-notch
feature of Hive. However I was curious to know what the community thought
about it and where do they see this integration stand in coming time when
compared with all the other upcoming techs?

Thanks,
Swarnim

[1]
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1K2A2NMsNbmKWuG02aUDxsLo0Lal0lhznYy8SB6HjC9U/edit#slide=id.p

Re: [DISCUSS] Hive/HBase Integration

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
I'm particularly interested in how the extraction of ORC will necessitate
creation of a more expressive API for Hive's storage tier.
"StorageHandlerV2" should be considered with HBase in mind as well as ORC.