Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christopher Cobb <ch...@wfinet.com> on 2005/12/14 15:02:59 UTC

[m201] cygwin: Failed to initialize environment variable resolver. Skipping environment substitution in settings.

Using 2.0.1 under cygwin, I get this with every command:

$ mvn clean
[WARNING] Failed to initialize environment variable resolver. Skipping
environment substitution in settings.
[WARNING] Failed to initialize environment variable resolver. Skipping
environment substitution in settings.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] String index out of range: -1
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
        at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1768)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.util.cli.CommandLineUtils.getSystemEnvVars(CommandLineUt
ils.java:188)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.util.interpolation.EnvarBasedValueSource.<init>(EnvarBas
edValueSource.java:16)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.interpolation.RegexBasedModelInterpolator.interpola
te(RegexBasedModelInterpolator.java:86)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.processProjectLogic(Defa
ultMavenProjectBuilder.java:725)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.build(DefaultMavenProjec
tBuilder.java:632)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildFromSourceFile(Defa
ultMavenProjectBuilder.java:304)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.build(DefaultMavenProjec
tBuilder.java:274)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProject(DefaultMaven.java:515)
        at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.collectProjects(DefaultMaven.java:447)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProjects(DefaultMaven.java:351)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:278)
        at
)
        at
.java:25)
        at
        at
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Wed Dec 14 08:33:09 EST 2005
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M
[INFO]

The actual line of java that mvn is invoking is:

+ exec /c/Program Files/Java/jdk1.5.0_03/bin/java -classpath
C:\downloads\maven-2.0.1/core/boot/classworlds-1.1-alpha-2.jar
-Dclassworlds.conf=C:\downloads\maven-2.0.1/bin/m2.conf
-Dmaven.home=C:\downloads\maven-2.0.1 org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher

Attention:
except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized
to state them to be the views of any such entity. The information
contained in this message and or attachments is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material.  If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy
any copies.

Re: [m201] cygwin: Failed to initialize environment variable resolver. Skipping environment substitution in settings.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@yahoo.com>.
Unfortunately, that's a bug which got introduced when adding envar
substitution support for the pom, settings, and profiles.xml. IIRC, it
should only happen when you have an environment variable set that
doesn't contain '=', as in HOME=/path/to/my/home.

At any rate, it's fixed for both versions of maven still in the SVN
(maven-2.0.x branch, and trunk).

HTH,

john