Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2007/02/01 04:21:30 UTC

Re: [Logo contest]

Hi Richard,

Richard Wallace wrote:
> I'm having a tough time deciding.  I like the inverted tree of C11,
> but I wonder if the branding we want is as "Apache DS" or "Apache
> Directory" or "Apache Directory Server".  On the main site,
> http://directory.apache.org, it's called the "Apache Directory
> Project", of which "Directory Server" is a subproject.

Yes we need different logos.  One for ApacheDS and one for Apache
Directory the TLP.  Ersin noted this ... we're using the ApacheDS logo
that people like for all projects.

For
> my money, I like just "Apache Directory" because there are cases where
> the directory parts might be embedded in other applications as a
> backend and not be used in a server mode.  Saying "Apache Directory
> Server" implies to me that it is only a server application, not
> necessarily something I could embed.

Interesting point.  Someone had mentioned making a subproject for an
enhanced for embedding version of ApacheDS to differentiate between the
stand alone server product from a scaled down embedded version of it.

Might be something worth considering.

> Just my 2c.

Much appreciated.

Alex

Re: [Logo contest]

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

> For
> > my money, I like just "Apache Directory" because there are cases where
> > the directory parts might be embedded in other applications as a
> > backend and not be used in a server mode.  Saying "Apache Directory
> > Server" implies to me that it is only a server application, not
> > necessarily something I could embed.
>
> Interesting point.  Someone had mentioned making a subproject for an
> enhanced for embedding version of ApacheDS to differentiate between the
> stand alone server product from a scaled down embedded version of it.

It has been changed : the TLP is Apache Directory , then you will have
Apache DS for 1.0 and 1.5 and TripleSec and LdapStudio for, guess what ...

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny