Posted to surefire-users@maven.apache.org by Marat Radchenko <sl...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/04 10:02:30 UTC

releasing 2.4

Hi everyone!

I've got two questions about surefire 2.4 release.

First, could you tell me expected date/week/month/year when it will be released?

Second, what are the reasons that surefire development process is so
slow? Maybe you do not have enough developers? If so then I could join
you in order to speed it up.

I'm asking because my team (any many other teams I suppose) want to
use Maven with testng and currently surefire has lots of troubles with
it.

Waiting for reply,
Marat Radchenko

Re: releasing 2.4

Posted by Marat Radchenko <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

The best working version is 2.4-collab-SNAPSHOT. There is nothing
better yet. I'm working on it (not so often as I'd like to).

When there will be some valuable progress, I'll post on this ML.

Re: releasing 2.4

Posted by srinivas ramgopal <sk...@yahoo.com>.
Hi

Re: releasing 2.4

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: releasing 2.4

Posted by Marat Radchenko <sl...@gmail.com>.
OK then, let's get down to business :)

Re: releasing 2.4

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 04/09/2007, at 6:32 PM, Marat Radchenko wrote:

> Hi, Brett.
>
>> 2007
> That sounds promising :)
>
>> Welcome!
> Does this mean you'd like me to join? If yes then could you explain
> the process of working on surefire (maybe this should be moved to
> surefire-dev)?

Just the normal contribution process - if you find an issue you can
take care of drop a comment to say you are working on it, ask
questions if you are unsure, and submit patches. If you submit enough
patches to show you know what you are doing on your own, someone will
give you commit access.

We can certainly continue any discussion on surefire-dev.

>> We currently have a small number of issues to get done for 2.3.1 (see
>> JIRA). This is intended to be the stable release for some time.
> I've seen issues fo 2.3.1 however it doesn't cover many people needs.

Yep, it's just the current "plan", but if you prefer to work on 2.4
things specifically that's fine of course.

>> 2.4 will focus on getting high test coverage across surefire itself
>> and stabilising TestNG + JUnit 4 support.
> That's what I am interested in

Great - there's a bit of back story - we have 2 branches at present.
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Surefire+TestNG+refactoring

Good luck :)

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org

Re: releasing 2.4

Posted by Marat Radchenko <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Brett.

> 2007
That sounds promising :)

Re: releasing 2.4

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 04/09/2007, at 6:02 PM, Marat Radchenko wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've got two questions about surefire 2.4 release.
>
> First, could you tell me expected date/week/month/year when it will
> be released?

2007

> Second, what are the reasons that surefire development process is so
> slow? Maybe you do not have enough developers? If so then I could join
> you in order to speed it up.

Welcome!

We currently have a small number of issues to get done for 2.3.1 (see
JIRA). This is intended to be the stable release for some time.

2.4 will focus on getting high test coverage across surefire itself
and stabilising TestNG + JUnit 4 support.

> I'm asking because my team (any many other teams I suppose) want to
> use Maven with testng and currently surefire has lots of troubles with
> it.

Cheers,
Brett

--