Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Ven Helsing <ia...@yahoo.co.in> on 2007/03/21 11:30:35 UTC

How to make slide Case-Insensitive

Dear All,
I am using slide on Windows platform. Windows is case insensitve but slide
is Case-Sensitive, so i am feeling some exceptions on putting same name
files but with diffrent case "Invalid Object" "Uri is incorrect". The same
bug is reported as the following link, plz look it:-

http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.cms.jahia.devel/2004-08/msg00021.html

Has anybody know any parameter or workaround  by which i can make the slide
case-insensitive.

Thanks in Advance.

Re: URI encoding

Posted by Ven Helsing <ia...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hello Whats going on? What about answer of my question.

Re: web front to slide?

Posted by Marco Ferretti <ma...@gmail.com>.
mmm don't know of any . I usually create my jsp pages or use
davExplorer . You can use the latter as an applet
http://www.davexplorer.org/applet.html

njoy

On 3/21/07, jhonyl@netscape.net <jh...@netscape.net> wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>  Is there a web front to slide or webdav?
>
>  I mean by that a webpage that can be used to upload files to the server, download from the server, and maybe also resume interupted uploads too?

Fwd: web front to slide?

Posted by jh...@netscape.net.
  Hi,

 Is there a web front to slide or webdav?

 I mean by that a webpage that can be used to upload files to the server, download from the server, and maybe also resume interupted uploads too?

web front to slide?

Posted by jh...@aim.com.

Re: URI encoding

Posted by Eirikur Hrafnsson <ei...@idega.is>.
Nice guide to NetDrive and links to download it:

http://davidbrunelle.com/2006/01/07/free-download-netdrive-for-windows/

-Eiki, Idega Software

Re: URI encoding

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Eirikur Hrafnsson schrieb:
> Hi,
>>  Hi,
>>  You are correct, it is the windows client that made the problem. I
>> have found an update for the 'web folders' and have installed it, and
>> now it is better with the names, though windows client is still bad -
>> when I upload a file the whole explorer including the desktop hangs
>> until the upload completes. I'll try to find this netdrive, it is not
>> officially available, since it is very old I guess. I am not sure if
>> it is the best solution though, since I'll have to tell my clients to
>> download it and install it from an unofficial source, and i would have
>> not been comfortable if someone else had told me that. By the way,
>> does netdrive allow resuming broken/interupted uploads?
> Yeah NetDrive was always on the Novell webpage put has been buried
> somewhere. We have many clients in government using it everyday for our
> webapps and its not "old" really. It just works well.
> The user can map a webdav directory as a Drive letter in windows,
> something that webfolders can't do (i think). Just remember to go to
> advanced features and set it to use "UTF-8" if you use that on the server.
> You can probably save the settings and just send the config file to your
> clients...
>
> Btw I don't think webdav supports resuming uploads at all, not sure
> about downloads...

WebDAV supports what HTTP supports here. PUT with "Range" request header
is IMHO underspecified and thus implemented nowhere, while GET with
"Range" should be supported by all good WebDAV implementations.

Best regards, Julian

Re: URI encoding

Posted by Eirikur Hrafnsson <ei...@idega.is>.
Hi,
>  Hi,
>  You are correct, it is the windows client that made the problem. I
> have found an update for the 'web folders' and have installed it,
> and now it is better with the names, though windows client is still
> bad - when I upload a file the whole explorer including the desktop
> hangs until the upload completes. I'll try to find this netdrive,
> it is not officially available, since it is very old I guess. I am
> not sure if it is the best solution though, since I'll have to tell
> my clients to download it and install it from an unofficial source,
> and i would have not been comfortable if someone else had told me
> that. By the way, does netdrive allow resuming broken/interupted
> uploads?
Yeah NetDrive was always on the Novell webpage put has been buried
somewhere. We have many clients in government using it everyday for
our webapps and its not "old" really. It just works well.
The user can map a webdav directory as a Drive letter in windows,
something that webfolders can't do (i think). Just remember to go to
advanced features and set it to use "UTF-8" if you use that on the
server.
You can probably save the settings and just send the config file to
your clients...

Btw I don't think webdav supports resuming uploads at all, not sure
about downloads...

best regards
Eiki

>  Thank you for the help. :)

Re: URI encoding

Re: URI encoding

Posted by Eirikur Hrafnsson <ei...@idega.is>.
Hi,

I'm not a Slide "expert" but in my experience with Icelandic and
Lithuanian characters (different charactersets) we ended up with
using UTF-8 and telling our clients to use the free NetDrive instead
of Microsoft webfolders. Microsoft doesn't seem to know that UTF-8
exists! The main problem is that the windows client isn't sending the
URI's (requests) in UTF-8, its just using the locale settings for
windows to choose the encoding which for most of europe is
ISO-8859-1. And I don't know if or how you can change that (don't use
windows myself on a regular basis).

In all cases the URIEncoding of server.xml and the request encoding
of the client MUST match for anything to work. Then internally Slide
sets its encoding according to slide.properties for example and then
if you are using RDBMSStore you need to make sure your database can
handle your encoding.

Hope my answer helps you a little bit since I have had the same
problems in the past but your main problem is probably the windows
client and its request encoding.

cheers
Eiki

On Mar 21, 2007, at 3:13 PM, jhonyl@netscape.net wrote:

>    Having it all in UTF-8 didn't work at all with the windows
> client (regular explorer network location). Having it in
> WINDOWS-1255 also didn't work, but at least at first the file names
> look at the right font. But still can't do anything to them, only
> from the origninal file browser I can change the names, but when I
> change the name the name immidiatly turn to gibrish when I refresh.
> Deleting a file was possible for a fresh file that its name didn't
> turn to gibrish yet, i.e delete was the first operation on it.
>

>  in store/metadata/files.def.xml the file names look like they look
> in the windows client. On the command prompt the files look
> like ?????_1.0

Re: URI encoding

Posted by jh...@netscape.net.

   Having it all in UTF-8 didn't work at all with the windows client (regular explorer network location). Having it in WINDOWS-1255 also didn't work, but at least at first the file names look at the right font. But still can't do anything to them, only from the origninal file browser I can change the names, but when I change the name the name immidiatly turn to gibrish when I refresh. Deleting a file was possible for a fresh file that its name didn't turn to gibrish yet, i.e delete was the first operation on it.

 in store/metadata/files.def.xml the file names look like they look in the windows client. On the command prompt the files look like ?????_1.0

  In my Slide experience using UTF-8 is the best way to go.

 However then you have to specifically set your webdav client (like Netdrive) to use UTF encoding and also the server with URIEncoding="UTF-8" (in server.xml).

 Also you need to set CATALINA_OPTS in startup.sh to use a JVM option (-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8) and to be completely safe (for jvm 1.5 at least on Linux) you need to set the LANG environment variable to something like "en_US.UTF8". I usually do that in startup.sh also with " export LANG = "en_US.UTF8" at the top.

 good luck

 Best Regards

 Eirikur S. Hrafnsson, eiki@idega.is
 Chief Software Engineer
 Idega Software
 http://www.idega.com

 On Mar 21, 2007, at 12:11 PM, jhonyl@netscape.net wrote:

 > It is worse than I thought. I think that what happened was that > the filenames were cached in IE, and only apeared to be right. When > I refreshed after some time, I still get gibrish file names. :(

Re: URI encoding

Posted by jh...@aim.com.

Re: URI encoding

Posted by Eirikur Hrafnsson <ei...@idega.is>.