Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org> on 2004/07/07 12:06:42 UTC

[Fwd: new site!]

dammit. Wrong list :$

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: new site!
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 11:56:53 +0200
From: Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>
To: dev@excalibur.apache.org

Hi guys!

Congrats on the new site. The front page certainly is shiny with all the
cool icons 'n stoof!

What I don't like so much is that you completely, utterly, totally,
broke all "backward compatibility". A golden rule of the web is to
*never* *break* *an* *url*. Imagine the dozens of releases and projects
out there which refer to http://avalon.apache.org/framework/api as a
source for external javadocs, for example.

Could you /please/ either put the old content back (just don't link to
it) or set up appropriate redirects?

Oh, another thing I'd recommend is either providing more information on
the front page about what avalon does, or having a big fat link labelled
something like "About". Imagine you're someone who hasn't got a clue
what "complete development platform for component and container
programming utilizing key design patterns such as Inversion of Control
and Separation of Concerns" means. It'd be nice if they could find out
easily, right? (most apache websites suffer badly from the "random John
Doe alienation" factor; avalon used to be reasonably good at avoiding it...)

cheers,

- Leo

Re: [Fwd: new site!]

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> Could you /please/ either put the old content back (just don't link to
> it) or set up appropriate redirects?

We are working on redirects.  Feel free to contribute - the .htaccess
file is in avalon/trunck/central/site/src/resources

Cheers, Steve.