Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com> on 2013/02/20 23:46:04 UTC

HBase newbie

Hello everyone
  I was wondering if any one has tried to run hbase 0.90.x on a hadoop
1.1.1 cluster? I have replaced a few of the jar files with the ones that
came with the packages that I am using in my cluster:

commons-configuration-1.6.jar
hadoop-core-1.1.1.jar
slf4j-api-1.6.1.jar
slf4j-log4j12-1.6.1.jar
zookeeper-3.4.5.jar (tried with both 3.3.2 and 3.4.5. same result)

after these changes I am able to run the region servers but the master
node still crashes when I try to start it:

> 2013-02-20 14:25:59,554 INFO org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Socket connection established to zk1/10.0.0.66:2181, initiating session
> 2013-02-20 14:25:59,556 INFO org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Session establishment complete on server zk1/10.0.0.66:2181, sessionid = 0x13cc3f3bcdc0095, negotiated timeout = 40000
> 2013-02-20 14:25:59,569 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.hbase.catalog.CatalogTracker: Starting catalog tracker org.apache.hadoop.hbase.catalog.CatalogTracker@151205ab
> 2013-02-20 14:25:59,587 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster: Unhandled exception. Starting shutdown.
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: �^@^@^@^\31321@d1r2n2.prod.plutoz.comENABLED
>         at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZKTable.getTableState(ZKTable.java:119)
>         at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZKTable.populateTableStates(ZKTable.java:94)
>         at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.ZKTable.<init>(ZKTable.java:79)
>         at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.AssignmentManager.<init>(AssignmentManager.java:171)
>         at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.finishInitialization(HMaster.java:353)
>         at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.run(HMaster.java:281)
> 2013-02-20 14:25:59,590 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster: Aborting
> 2013-02-20 14:25:59,590 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster: Stopping service threads
> 2013-02-20 14:25:59,590 INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.HBaseServer: Stopping server on 60000
> 2013-02-20 14:25:59,591 INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.HBaseServer: IPC Server handler 0 on 60000: exiting

does anyone have any idea or suggestion about what I can do to be able
to run a hbase 0.90.x on hadoop 1.1.1?

thanks,

Kaveh Minooie

www.plutoz.com

Re: does hbase master need to be a hadoop datanode as well?

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi Harish,

HBase still run ZooKeeper even in standalone mode:
http://hbase.apache.org/book/standalone_dist.html

So you still can face same kind of issues. But since it's not using Hadoop,
there is more memory available for you HBase, which might reduce GCs
"issues".

JM

Posted by Harish Krishnan <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: does hbase master need to be a hadoop datanode as well?

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Yeah..Good point JM.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
"as long as machine is powerful"

That's the key ;)

If you run you standalone HBase in a virtual machine, it might not be
powerful enought and you might miss the heartbeats. Same if you run on a
computer without enought memory and it's starting to swap.

JM

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kaven,

Re: issue with nutch-gora+hbase+zookeeper

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kaveh,
This is great news.
Thanks for persisting. I will update the Nutch wiki accordingly.
Lewis

--
*Lewis*

Re: issue with nutch-gora+hbase+zookeeper

Posted by kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com>.

Posted by kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com>.
> [...]

> cport:-1)::PrepRequestProcessor@533] - Processed session termination
> for sessionid: 0x13d037b8e6b0016
>

> I also don't think that it is a heartbeat or GC related issue since
> there is really no load at all on these servers right now. I know this
> is a hybrid problem involving three separate product (nutch, hbase,
> zookeeper) but I am asking this in all the mailing list. Also I am
> gonna say it agian in order to avoid confusion with the similar
> problems in older versions that are supposedly solved. I am using
> hbase 0.90.6 and zookeeper 3.5.0 (commit 46b565e6) with nutch 2.x
> (commit f02dcf625 ) both are either the latest or very recent updates.
>
> if anyone has any idea what is happening here I very much like to hear
> that.
>
> thanks,

Re: issue with nutch-gora+hbase+zookeeper

Posted by ka...@plutoz.com.
all the ports are open. there is no iptable.

Posted by kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com>.
no here are the logs, master:

[...]
2013-02-22 12:08:21,142 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.CatalogJanitor: Scanned 1 catalog row(s)
and gc'd 0 unreferenced parent region(s)

one of the regionservers:

2013-02-22 12:03:17,199 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.LruBlockCache: LRU Stats: total=6.51
MB, free=786.84 MB, max=793.35 MB, blocks=0, accesses=0, hits=0,
hitRatio=?%, cachingAccesses=0, cachingHits=0, cachingHitsRatio=?%,
evictions=0, evicted=0, evictedPerRun=NaN
2013-02-22 12:08:17,198 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.LruBlockCache: LRU Stats: total=6.51
MB, free=786.84 MB, max=793.35 MB, blocks=0, accesses=0, hits=0,
hitRatio=?%, cachingAccesses=0, cachingHits=0, cachingHitsRatio=?%,
evictions=0, evicted=0, evictedPerRun=NaN
2013-02-22 12:13:17,198 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.LruBlockCache: LRU Stats: total=6.51
MB, free=786.84 MB, max=793.35 MB, blocks=0, accesses=0, hits=0,
hitRatio=?%, cachingAccesses=0, cachingHits=0, cachingHitsRatio=?%,
evictions=0, evicted=0, evictedPerRun=NaN

another regionserver:

2013-02-22 12:03:17,279 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.LruBlockCache: LRU Stats: total=6.51
MB, free=786.84 MB, max=793.35 MB, blocks=0, accesses=0, hits=0,
hitRatio=�%, cachingAccesses=0, cachingHits=0, cachingHitsRatio=�%,
evictions=0, evicted=0, evictedPerRun=NaN
2013-02-22 12:08:17,278 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.io.hfile.LruBlockCache: LRU Stats: total=6.51
MB, free=786.84 MB, max=793.35 MB, blocks=0, accesses=0, hits=0,
hitRatio=�%, cachingAccesses=0, cachingHits=0, cachingHitsRatio=�%,
evictions=0, evicted=0, evictedPerRun=NaN
2013-02-22 12:13:17,278 DEBUG

--

Posted by al...@aim.com.

Posted by kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com>.

Re: HBase newbie

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
In case you encounter further issue(s), take a look at
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#trouble

Cheers

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM, kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com> wrote:

> thanks, this time it was the hbase directory in the hdfs :). everything
> seems to be working now.
>

> On 02/20/2013 04:13 PM, Ted Yu wrote:
>
>> Have you checked the region server log from d1r1n19.prod.plutoz.comaround
>> this time ?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM, kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com> wrote:
>>
>>  ok so I used to run hbase 0.94.4 before i realized that i had to
>>> downgrade. my zookeeper hbase directory had the files from that version
>>> before. once I cleaned the zookeeper directory using zkCli, master node
>>> came up. and after that i checked and all the data directories on the
>>> cluster are empty (there was no data in hbase). but now when i
>>> start-hbase
>>> the master node log file just keeps saying this :
>>>
>>> 2013-02-20 15:45:39,518 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.****
>>> master.AssignmentManager:
>>>
>>> Using pre-existing plan for region -ROOT-,,0.70236052;
>>> plan=hri=-ROOT-,,0.70236052, src=, dest=d1r1n19.prod.plutoz.com,****
>>> 60020,1361403838824
>>> 2013-02-20 15:45:39,524 DEBUG org.apache.hadoop.hbase.****

Re: HBase newbie

Posted by kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com>.

--
Kaveh Minooie

www.plutoz.com

Re: HBase newbie

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: HBase newbie

Posted by kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com>.
ok so I used to run hbase 0.94.4 before i realized that i had to
downgrade. my zookeeper hbase directory had the files from that version
before. once I cleaned the zookeeper directory using zkCli, master node
came up. and after that i checked and all the data directories on the
cluster are empty (there was no data in hbase). but now when i
start-hbase the master node log file just keeps saying this :

2013-02-20 15:45:39,518 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.AssignmentManager: Using pre-existing
plan for region -ROOT-,,0.70236052; plan=hri=-ROOT-,,0.70236052, src=,
dest=d1r1n19.prod.plutoz.com,60020,1361403838824
2013-02-20 15:45:39,518 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.AssignmentManager: Assigning region
-ROOT-,,0.70236052 to d1r1n19.prod.plutoz.com,60020,1361403838824
2013-02-20 15:45:39,524 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.AssignmentManager: Handling
transition=RS_ZK_REGION_OPENING,
server=d1r1n19.prod.plutoz.com,60020,1361403838824, region=70236052/-ROOT-
2013-02-20 15:45:39,532 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.AssignmentManager: Handling
transition=RS_ZK_REGION_FAILED_OPEN,
server=d1r1n19.prod.plutoz.com,60020,1361403838824, region=70236052/-ROOT-
2013-02-20 15:45:39,532 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.handler.ClosedRegionHandler: Handling
CLOSED event for 70236052
2013-02-20 15:45:39,532 DEBUG
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.AssignmentManager: Forcing OFFLINE;

--
Kaveh Minooie

www.plutoz.com

Re: HBase newbie

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
What's IP address for d1r2n2.prod.**plutoz.com ?

Cheers

Re: HBase newbie

Posted by kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com>.

--