Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk> on 2003/08/16 16:16:28 UTC

Persistent store seems slow

In looking into the caching system for the CLI, I found the fact that
the caching system wasn't being correctly written to disc on shutdown.

Vadim fixed that.

So one would therefore expect pages that have been placed in the
persistent store to be generated faster than previously, as page
generation is no longer required - just reading from the cache.

However, this does not seem to be the case. From my investigations (by
adding code to the CLI to report the duration spent generating each
page), it seems that page generation is now _slower_, when the page has
been put into the persistent store :-(

I notice that, in a pipeline that involves aggregation and the cocoon:
protocol, you get multiple reads from the cache. Presumably only the
last is actually used.

This is a very unfortunate response, as I was looking forward to the 10x
performance improvements that the MRUMemoryStore offers!

Is there likely to be anything I can do to speed up the persistent store?

Would it be possible to just get the last modified date from the cache
without the content, as in fact that is all I really want.

Hope you guys can help.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Persistent store seems slow

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Reinhard Pötz wrote:

>Hi Upayavira,
>
>I saw that you checked in some changes to the CLI using the Persistence
>store. Are the problems desribed below solved?
>
>If not, I had a RT when reading your mail: What about an external memory
>store for CLI operations?

No, the check-ins don't fix it. CLI now uses the store ('cos now that
Vadim has fixed it, it has to!), but the persistent store seems to take
10 times as long as the MRU store, and about the same amount of time as
actually generating the page without caching.

Regards, Upayavira

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@gmx.net>.
Hi Upayavira,

I saw that you checked in some changes to the CLI using the Persistence
store. Are the problems desribed below solved?

If not, I had a RT when reading your mail: What about an external memory
store for CLI operations?

Cheers,
Reinhard