Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Albrecht Fortenbacher <a....@fhtw-berlin.de> on 2001/11/27 17:43:11 UTC

Apache - mod_perl - Windows

Hi,

sorry for bothering you with a question concerning mod_perl under
windows (it's not that I like windows so much, it's just because I have
to use a windows system ...)

I tried to install precompiled mod_perl within an Apache 1.3.22 server
on Windows 2000 as indicated on http://perl.apache.org, and this failed
(error message below).

My question is:
1. is there a way to get a precompiled windows version running (I don't
want to reset my Apache server to some ancient version!)
or
2. is it worth the effort (and likely to be successful) to configure the
CPAN module with make- and cc-Utilities (e.g. from cygwin), and is there
an *easy* indication how to do it
or
3. is Apache/mod_perl and windows an invalid combination which simply
should not be used???

Thanks in advance
Albrecht Fortenbacher

1. my environment is Windows 2000, Apache 1.3.22 and Perl 5.6.1, binary
build 629 provided by ActiveState
2. I installed mod_perl via ActiveState's ppm from
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages, as indicated on the
perl.apache.org page
3. at the end of the installation process, the module mod_perl.so is
copied into the Apache modules directory
4. this module is not recognized by Apache, as the following *weird*
error message shows:
 >  Can't locate API module structure `mod_perl' in file
 >  e:/apache/modules/mod_perl.
 >  so: (127) The specified procedure could not be found:
This error message was produced by the line
 >  LoadModule mod_perl modules/mod_perl.so
in the httpd.conf file.

Prof. Dr. Albrecht Fortenbacher     Angew. Informatik / FHTW Berlin
         Anschrift: FB4, FHTW Berlin, Treskowallee 8, 10313 Berlin
         Tel: 030 5019-2321  Fax: -2671
         mailto:a.fortenbacher@fhtw-berlin.de
         http://www.f4.fhtw-berlin.de/people/forte

RE: Apache - mod_perl - Windows

Posted by "Jonathan M. Hollin" <ne...@digital-word.com>.
:: > I have set up several Windows / Apache / mod_perl servers without any
:: > problems whatsoever.  I would recommend the following (in order):
::
:: Alternately: http://savage.net.au/Perl.html#Configuring-Apache

Nice one Ron.  That's excellent documentation.  Cheers.

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Co-ordinator
West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/

Re: Apache - mod_perl - Windows

Posted by Ron Savage <ro...@savage.net.au>.
Folks

See below.

Cheers
Ron Savage
ron@savage.net.au
http://savage.net.au/index.html

RE: Apache - mod_perl - Windows

Posted by "Jonathan M. Hollin" <ne...@digital-word.com>.
:: sorry for bothering you with a question concerning mod_perl under
:: windows (it's not that I like windows so much, it's just because I have
:: to use a windows system ...)

Same here - I'm forced to use Windows because we're a Windows only shop.
Additionally, I don't know Unix so that kind of limits my opportunities.
:-(

:: My question is:
:: 1. is there a way to get a precompiled windows version running (I don't
:: want to reset my Apache server to some ancient version!)

I have set up several Windows / Apache / mod_perl servers without any
problems whatsoever.  I would recommend the following (in order):

Download and install the latest non-v2 distribution of Apache
Download ActiveState's "ActivePerl" (http://www.activestate.com/) and
install into the Apache directory
Use "PPM" (Perl Package Manager) to download and install "mod_perl" (and any
other module you want).

Note:  You will need to add the following "PPD Repository Path" to PPM in
order to get "mod_perl":
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer

:: 2. is it worth the effort (and likely to be successful) to configure the
:: CPAN module with make- and cc-Utilities (e.g. from cygwin), and is there
:: an *easy* indication how to do it
:: or

It's possible to do it via Cygwin, but not necessary if you follow the steps
above.

As to whether or not it's worth the effort...  YES, YES, YES!!!  You have
got to see the difference between mod_perl and mod_cgi to believe it.  Once
you've worked under mod_perl, you'll will never go back to plain old CGI.

:: 3. is Apache/mod_perl and windows an invalid combination which simply
:: should not be used???

No way.  This combination works very well with some caveats (see the
documentation for details).

Re: Apache - mod_perl - Windows

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Albrecht Fortenbacher wrote:

> I tried to install precompiled mod_perl within an Apache 1.3.22 server
> on Windows 2000 as indicated on http://perl.apache.org, and this failed
> (error message below).
[ .. ]
> 1. my environment is Windows 2000, Apache 1.3.22 and Perl 5.6.1, binary
> build 629 provided by ActiveState
> 2. I installed mod_perl via ActiveState's ppm from
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages, as indicated on the
> perl.apache.org page
> 3. at the end of the installation process, the module mod_perl.so is
> copied into the Apache modules directory
> 4. this module is not recognized by Apache, as the following *weird*
> error message shows:
>  >  Can't locate API module structure `mod_perl' in file
>  >  e:/apache/modules/mod_perl.
>  >  so: (127) The specified procedure could not be found:
> This error message was produced by the line
>  >  LoadModule mod_perl modules/mod_perl.so
> in the httpd.conf file.

Hi,
    Try, in http.conf,
rather than