Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/02 02:22:11 UTC

Re: Probabilistic data structures in Drill

Drill doesn't use any such data structures in itself. The emphasis has been
on being correct first with the option of introducing approximations later.

That said, you can definitely define aggregators yourself. Last I checked,
however, user defined aggregators are single level ... that means that
everything that gets aggregated has to go through a single function which
definitely limits scalability. This was several months ago, though, so
things may have improved by now.

Perhaps somebody can comment on whether multi-level user-defined
aggregators are possible?

Posted by Sudheesh Katkam <sk...@maprtech.com>.
There is a pending pull request [1] to support table statistics. This includes using HyperLogLog to estimate number of distinct values, etc. I do not know further details.

Thank you,
Sudheesh

[1] https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/425 <https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/425>

Posted by Edmon Begoli <eb...@gmail.com>.