Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Matt Woodworth <ma...@cisco.com> on 2003/01/18 17:03:06 UTC

User's actions getting switched during load testing

Friends,

We're just about finished building a semi-large web app (~500 classes)
but we're having problems during our load test.  The load tests have
scripts (we're using load runner) that perform a series of actions
(screen loads, posts, etc.) for a given user.  When he's finished doing
his thing, he stops.  Different groups of users do different things.  A
user from one group would be unable to perform an action that another
group can perform.

The trouble is, we're seeing that users in group A are attempting to
perform actions that only group b can do.  There is *no* chance that
it's a problem is the load runner script.  They are fairly
straightforward to check.  This only happens under load.  We can have 10
users on the system for hours and hours and never see a problem.  If we
raise that to 30 users we'll get the problem in a minute or two.

Our current theory is that somehow, sessions are getting crossed/mixed
or whatever between users.  Turbine is performing an action for me when
it was you who requested it.  This ties into another problem we're
having.  If two users from group b perform the same action, sometimes a
user gets the data from a different user.  This seems to be a different
symptom of the same problem.  User A gets the results of user B's request.

I have another hint.  Increasing the services.PoolService.pool.capacity
setting from 128 to 512 seems to have fixed the problem (or at least
moved it up to beyond 70+ concurrent users, the current stopping place
for our load test).

Does anybody know how to actually cure this problem, instead of simply
pushing it up like I've done so far?

Matt Woodworth

PPS  I had orginally sent this to the wrong mailing list.  If you also
noticed this question going to turbine-dev please don't think of me as a
spammer or wicked cross poster.  It was just a mistake.

Re: User's actions getting switched during load testing

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Just in case it is relevant, over on the jetty-support mailing list they are
attempting to track down something like what you are experiencing.  Do you
happen to be using Jetty as your servlet container?

Scott
--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.