Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Hugues Marilleau <hu...@xenon.medisite.net> on 2000/06/08 15:43:50 UTC

Problems running Cocoon with Kaffe : Error: java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: ISO8859_1

Hello,

I've got problems running Cocoon on a Debian GNU/Linux box (unstable
aka woody).

Here are the logs when I try the sample http://localhost/Cocoon.xml :
[08/06/2000 13:10:00:827 GMT+0:00] AJP Protocol Error: java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: ISO8859_1
in /var/log/jserv.log and

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

in Netscape. The /status/jserv/ is ok and there is no problem from
JServ I guess, when I start JServ I got a "ApacheJServ/1.1.1" in
/var/log/jserv.log;  but not the /status/jserv/engine/0/
which put the same error in /var/log/jserv.log and

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Additionally, a 400 Bad Request error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

in Netscape. It is Netscape Navigator 4.7, and i got the same with
Mozilla M15, lynx and w3m. My Character Set in NS and Mozilla is of
course ISO 8859 1, and I tried to change this to UTF 7, UTF 8, User
Defined, ISO 8859 15 ... always the same error in Netscape and in
the logs.

I'm using :
Kaffe 1.0.5
Apache 1.3.12
ApacheJServ/1.1.1
Cocoon 1.5 (the cocoon.deb provided by Debian)
and also JDK 1.1.6 v5.

How can I fix this, or is this a problem with too old versions of Kaffe
and/or Cocoon ? Or removing the JDK ? The JDK was installed before but
the Debian packaging system need a JVM and installed Kaffe.

Re: Problems running Cocoon with Kaffe : Error: java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: ISO8859_1

Posted by Hugues Marilleau <hu...@xenon.medisite.net>.
On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 04:29:47AM +0000, Tim Landscheidt wrote :

> This is a problem with ApacheJServ 1.1.1 which uses the (un-
> official) encoding "ISO8859_1" instead of "ISO-8859-1" and a
> problem with Kaffe 1.0.5 which did not have an appropriate
> alias for this. Kaffe has the alias already in the CVS repo-
> sitory, the bug report for ApacheJServ came too late for
> 1.1.1.
>
>   But the current Kaffe from CVS does not work with Apache-
> JServ (1.1.1) for me either. Apparently, the VM just slurps
> memory and memory without ever doing anything. So you may
> have to stick to other VMs for a while. For that, check out
> wrapper.bin and wrapper.classpath (you may have to add your
> rt.jar here) in jserv.properties.

Thanks a lot, I switched to JDK 1.1.8 and it worked with JServ 1.1.1.

Re: Problems running Cocoon with Kaffe : Error: java.io.UnsupportedEncodingException: ISO8859_1

Posted by Tim Landscheidt <ti...@gmx.de>.
Hugues Marilleau schrieb:

> [...]
> I'm using :
> Kaffe 1.0.5
> Apache 1.3.12
> ApacheJServ/1.1.1
> Cocoon 1.5 (the cocoon.deb provided by Debian)
> and also JDK 1.1.6 v5.

> How can I fix this, or is this a problem with too old versions of Kaffe
> and/or Cocoon ? Or removing the JDK ? The JDK was installed before but
> the Debian packaging system need a JVM and installed Kaffe.

This is a problem with ApacheJServ 1.1.1 which uses the (un-
official) encoding "ISO8859_1" instead of "ISO-8859-1" and a
problem with Kaffe 1.0.5 which did not have an appropriate
alias for this. Kaffe has the alias already in the CVS repo-
sitory, the bug report for ApacheJServ came too late for
1.1.1.

  But the current Kaffe from CVS does not work with Apache-
JServ (1.1.1) for me either. Apparently, the VM just slurps
memory and memory without ever doing anything. So you may
have to stick to other VMs for a while. For that, check out
wrapper.bin and wrapper.classpath (you may have to add your
rt.jar here) in jserv.properties.

HTH,
Tim