Posted to xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2009/01/07 06:52:56 UTC

Re: Proposal: Commons SAX

Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
> > someone wrote:
> > >
> > > As part of the gradual shutdown of the XML project, the Xerces PMC has
> > > agreed some time ago to take over the responsibility for XML Commons.
> > > The xml-commons group which you mentioned is basically for committers
> > > who only have access to XML commons (mainly Norman Walsh when he still
> > > worked on the resolver). Today XML Commons is write-accessible for
> > > committers from various projects (Xerces, Xalan, XML Graphics, Cocoon,
> > > Forrest etc.). But they don't use that karma very often. Yes, it
> > > doesn't
> > > have much of a community mainly because the various parts are mostly
> > > "too stable". We can change that by reactivating XML Commons with new
> > > goals.
> > >
> > > The virtual link you mentioned is a good idea IMO and seems in line
> > > with Henri's ideas of a federated Commons.
> >
> > Interesting. What is the XML PMC group for? As a Cocoon committer I
> > recall having commit privs on xml years ago. I don't believe we do
> > anymore though.
>
> When XML Commons was transferred over to the Xerces PMC I don't believe
> anything changed with respect to who has commit privileges. At least there
> was no intention of removing anyone.

Yes, other projects can still commit to "xml-commons", currently:
xml-pmc cocoon forrest lenya xalan xerces xerces-j xml-commons xml-xindice xmlgraphics-batik xmlgraphics-fop

The Xerces PMC could enable other project groups to
have authorisation too.

> I'm not sure how one checks who
> actually has write-access, but I suspect the list includes many folks
> who've never committed to the project before and possibly aren't aware that
> they can.

http://www.apache.org/dev/#pmc
... http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newcommitter-svn
That paragraph mentions the Subversion authorization URL.

> > At least, http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html doesn't
> > reflect it.

There must be some lack with the script to build Jim's pages,
as http://people.apache.org/~jim/projects.html#xml-commons
just shows a basic group of extra people.

The script is in his home directory if someone can make
a patch for him.

-David