Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com> on 2003/06/24 18:49:56 UTC

General Stuff

Ok,

    As I see it, we're gonna' keep running into two major problems
concerning Rivet.

1. The .htaccess / Apache directory SNAFU.

2. The use of the <? ?> tags that can cause so much XML bullshit.

    #1.  What is the real problem we have with this?  David committed
a fix for the cache'ing problem.  Do we just need to work out a better
way to handle it all?

    #2.  Do we keep going with the tags we have?  PHP seems to get
along with them.  How do they handle the XML tags that use the same
text?  Do we need something different from PHP to distinguish Rivet
code from PHP code within the same server?  Yeah, I know, they look
nothing alike.  Still...

    Any comments?  Questions?

Re: General Stuff

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
I think the third piece of business that really needs taking care of
is a general cleanup of the directories - and I could really use some
help with that, because you masterminded a lot of the original
things:-)

I'm talking about things like this (my hack job):

set PREFIX [lindex $auto_path end]

We want to install stuff there, not under the Apache hierarchy, I'm
pretty sure.  Maybe TCL_PACKAGE_PATH from tclConfig.sh is a better
option?

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: General Stuff

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com> writes:

>     As I see it, we're gonna' keep running into two major problems
> concerning Rivet.

> 1. The .htaccess / Apache directory SNAFU.

> 2. The use of the <? ?> tags that can cause so much XML bullshit.

>     #1.  What is the real problem we have with this?  David
> committed a fix for the cache'ing problem.  Do we just need to work
> out a better way to handle it all?

The bug I fixed was kind of obscure, but what was happening is that if
you had an .htaccess file, it kept invalidating the cached copy of the
script, even though it was in the list.  Then it would clear it out,
and cause problems.  Or something along those lines... it was kind of
subtle and ugly.

What we really need to do is check to see if the .htaccess file has
changed since the last time we ran the script.  Well, it would
actually be better to check and see if there are Rivet comands in it
and if they have changed, but I suppose that might be kind of tough.

Anyway, if the file/tcl code has changed, we invalidate all the
scripts that it covers, or just all of them to avoid doing lots of
string matching.  I'm not sure how best to get the access time out of
the .htaccess file though...

>     #2.  Do we keep going with the tags we have?  PHP seems to get
> along with them.  How do they handle the XML tags that use the same
> text?  Do we need something different from PHP to distinguish Rivet
> code from PHP code within the same server?  Yeah, I know, they look
> nothing alike.  Still...

I think we could go with several different strategies here:

*) Let people change things at compile time.  That's already possible,
   but not widely publicized (ie documented:-) It should be easier,
   too.

*) Let people choose at run time.  This is a bit more complicated.
   Maybe we should have.... shudder... an Apache Directive?  Or a tcl
   command/variable?

I don't think the purpose is really distinguising tcl code from php,
but for people who want to use tcl in XML documents, which, for
instance, start like this:

So they definitely need a <?rivet or <?tcl or something.  But for
normal, HTML use, <? is just quicker.