Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Curtis Vaughan <ca...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/11 19:46:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Website access without initial www.

Using Apache2.2.22 on a Debian7 server.
Hosting multiple websites, but have reduced it to just one for now to try
to figure out this problem.
So, if I go to: www.vostok1.com the website shows up.
HOWEVER, if I go to just: vostok1.com from outside our company network, I
get the error "Forbidden. You don't have permission to access / on this
server."
>From inside the company network, however, it works fine.
Here is the only file in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerAdmin npc@npc-usa.com

	DocumentRoot /var/www/Vostok1
	ServerName www.vostok1.com
	ServerAlias vostok1.com
	<Directory />
		Options FollowSymLinks
		AllowOverride None
	</Directory>
	<Directory /var/www/Vostok1/>
		Options FollowSymLinks
		AllowOverride None
		Order allow,deny
		allow from all
		# This directive allows us to have apache2's default start
page
                # in /apache2-default/, but still have / go to the right
place
		#RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/
	</Directory>

	ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
	<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
		AllowOverride None
		Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
		Order allow,deny
		Allow from all
	</Directory>

	ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

	# alert, emerg.
	LogLevel warn

	CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
	ServerSignature On

    Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
    <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
        Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
    </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Re: [users@httpd] Website access without initial www.

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.
Do requests to the non-www site show up in the access or error log?
(run tail -n 0 -f /var/log/apache2/*.log and access the bare domain.)

There might be something useful there if you compare it with a good request.
Additionally, I recommend changing your CustomLog to combined_vh (I think
that is what it is) so that the virtualhostname is in the log too.

- Y

Posted by "plot.lost" <pl...@gmail.com>.
On 11/09/2013 18:46, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Using Apache2.2.22 on a Debian7 server.
> Hosting multiple websites, but have reduced it to just one for now to try
> to figure out this problem.
> So, if I go to: www.vostok1.com the website shows up.
> HOWEVER, if I go to just: vostok1.com from outside our company network, I
> get the error "Forbidden. You don't have permission to access / on this
> server."
>  From inside the company network, however, it works fine.

Looks like a different server is answering the www one and the non www one.

Two requests made at the same time, come back with the following in the
headers:

www.vostok1.com:

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:27:17 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian)
Vary: Accept-Encoding

vostok1.com:

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:49:55 GMT
Vary: Accept-Encoding

Although the requests were at the same time (well, within a few seconds)
the time in the response is different by more than 23 minutes. Also the
second one did not include the server: header identifying itself as Apache.

Do you have some sort of device (firewall, loadbalancer etc) that is
between your apache instance and the internet connection - this could be
intercepting the requests and handling them differently.