Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/07 00:18:32 UTC

Advice on project logo

Hello.

We, at Apache Commons, would like to know whether an Apache
project  is authorized to extract graphical elements from the
foundation's logo, apply some transformation to them, and use
the result in order to compose its own logo.

Case in point is here:
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/project-logos/originals/commons.svg
(where the feather has been rotated).

Does it constitute a breach of the recommendations published in
the "Identity Style Guide"?[1]

Thank you,
Gilles Sadowski

[1] https://apache.org/foundation/press/kit/ApacheFoundation_StyleGuide.pdf

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Le lun. 9 sept. 2019 à 21:17, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> The KISS solution would be to get "Central" to produce not just the Commons
> logo but one for each component and be done.

+1

Especially if the future is that "Central Services" will provide logos
for all the projects.

> The even simpler path is to
> forgo component specific logos, especially since Commons is just one Apache
> project. I like simpler...

In theory; but in practice, we know that every component  has
its own "personality", and that there is no integration and reuse
between them.  Great if a unique logo could be the start for sharing
other things...
However, more realistically, components will continue their
independent life (for good reasons probably), and a single logo
would be misrepresenting the variety of "Commons" contents
(subject matters as well as development management).

Regards,
Gilles

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Couldn't resist <g>

https://twitter.com/alanparsons/status/1178469148751466496?s=19

...no idea how it appeared in my timeline...

- - -

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

> On Sep 15, 2019, at 9:02 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I for one appreciate Rob's efforts and would also be happy to turn the task
> over to Services with our input which IMO is just our project name "Apache
> Commons".

Sounds good to me.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

> I for one appreciate Rob's efforts

We should all appreciate each others' efforts.

> and would also be happy to turn the task
> over to Services with our input which IMO is just our project name "Apache
> Commons".

This step has been taken already, and they asked about our
requirements.
I gave my suggestions.

Gilles

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
Sure I’d be happy to talk at some time tomorrow. Let me know when you’re free. I’ll likely be in the hackathon room for a good portion of the day.

Cheers,
-Rob

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Kenneth Paskett <kp...@apache.org>.
Hi Rob -

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Gilles.

I'm copying Kenneth Paskett, creative lead from Central Services. I was talking to him about this opportunity yesterday: we will be happy to explore options for a future design.

I'm not saying "don't use anything that remotely looks like the feather". It's important that if we choose to use an ASF-feather-inspired motif that it doesn't look like it's a "broken" version of the original. Ways around that issue could involve the shape or color of the feather, among other adjustments.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Re: Advice on project logo

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Gilles. I appreciate you reaching out.

Normally I encourage PMCs to not re-orient or "spindle" the feather where possible, but I understand that some legacy logos have a bit of a problem with positioning. For example, the Apache HTTP Server logo:

 - original logo https://twitter.com/apache_httpd/photo
 - interim logo https://britewire.com/apache-http-server/
 - new logo https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/project-logos/originals/httpd.svg

Whilst I understand the proposed design, I'm not *loving* the look of the logo, particularly as Apache Commons has such a massive footprint across so many projects.

To that end, may I ask a favor?

Would you and the Apache Commons PMC be amenable to considering having Central Services --a somewhat new sub-group of ASF Marketing & Publicity-- help you with creating a new logo?

If you are not in a rush, we can see how we can help you. ApacheCon North America starts on Monday, and we can start the discussions on what your requirements are and the best way to meet your needs. ApacheCon Europe is taking place in October: I was thinking the timeframe between the two events (~6 weeks) would be sufficient for us to have a few proposals developed.