Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Wynacht <jo...@objectevolution.com> on 2006/11/15 16:18:02 UTC

Migrating from TC 4 -> 5

Hi,

I have a Struts-based app that is currently running on a Tomcat
4.1.29 server. I'm using Struts 1.2.9 and things have been running
great. My ISP is bugging me about upgrading Tomcat to 5.5.20 so I
downloaded it tonight to do a trial run and initial testing.

For starters, it coughed up a ton of warning messages about not being
able to find the SAX parser. So I put xalan.jar, xercesImpl.jar, xml-
apis.jar and xmlParserAPIs.jar it $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib. This
stopped the error messages and the server started up fine.

I could log into my web app and things seem to authenticate and then
the screen just went blank. Nothing, no content, no error message. I
even checked the log file and there was nothing there either.

Anybody have a similar experience? I've cruised Google and the
archives of this list but can't seem to find an answer.

I'm using JDK 1.5 also...

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Jon Wynacht
jon@objectevolution.com
http://www.objectevolution.com

[SOLVED] Re: Migrating from TC 4 -> 5

Posted by Jon Wynacht <jo...@objectevolution.com>.
Turns out the issue was I had:

<role-name>*</role-name>

when I should have had each of the roles entered.

Whew! The things we learn by trial and error...thanks everybody who
had advice for me on this, especially here:

http://www.nabble.com/auth-constraint-in-web.xml-in-tomcat-5.5.15-
tf1054280.html#a2742541

Jon

RE: Migrating from TC 4 -> 5

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Jon Wynacht [mailto:jon@objectevolution.com]
> Subject: Re: Migrating from TC 4 -> 5
>
> More clearer still...is anybody authenticating a webapp on Tomcat
> 5.5.20 using JDBCRealm?

We're using JAASRealm, not JDBCRealm, without any problems.

> Anybody know if the JDBCRealm class isn't included with TC
> 5.5.20? Or am I just off my rocker?

Can't answer the latter, but the JDBCRealm class is in
server/lib/catalina-optional.jar, as is the one for JAASRealm.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Migrating from TC 4 -> 5

Posted by Jon Wynacht <jo...@objectevolution.com>.
Hi,

More clearer still...is anybody authenticating a webapp on Tomcat
5.5.20 using JDBCRealm? Anybody? I'd like to talk to you if you have
some time to email back and forth. It just doesn't look like
JDBCRealm works anymore, though I'm sure it's me and I'm sure I'll
figure it out. One. Of. These. Nights.

Anybody know if the JDBCRealm class isn't included with TC 5.5.20? Or
am I just off my rocker?

Thanks in advance....

Jon

Re: Migrating from TC 4 -> 5