Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Sunil G <su...@apache.org> on 2018/11/23 12:06:50 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.2.0 - RC0

Hi folks,

Thanks to all contributors who helped in this release [1]. I have created

first release candidate (RC0) for Apache Hadoop 3.2.0.

Artifacts for this RC are available here:

http://home.apache.org/~sunilg/hadoop-3.2.0-RC0/

RC tag in git is release-3.2.0-RC0.

The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org at

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1174/

This vote will run 7 days (5 weekdays), ending on Nov 30 at 11:59 pm PST.

3.2.0 contains 1079 [2] fixed JIRA issues since 3.1.0. Below feature
additions

are the highlights of this release.

1. Node Attributes Support in YARN

2. Hadoop Submarine project for running Deep Learning workloads on YARN

3. Support service upgrade via YARN Service API and CLI

4. HDFS Storage Policy Satisfier

5. Support Windows Azure Storage - Blob file system in Hadoop

6. Phase 3 improvements for S3Guard and Phase 5 improvements S3a

7. Improvements in Router-based HDFS federation

Thanks to Wangda, Vinod, Marton for helping me in preparing the release.

I have done few testing with my pseudo cluster. My +1 to start.

Regards,

Sunil

[1]

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/68c1745dcb65602aecce6f7e6b7f0af3d974b1bf0048e7823e58b06f@%3Cyarn-dev.hadoop.apache.org%3E

[2] project in (YARN, HADOOP, MAPREDUCE, HDFS) AND fixVersion in (3.2.0)
AND fixVersion not in (3.1.0, 3.0.0, 3.0.0-beta1) AND status = Resolved
ORDER BY fixVersion ASC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.2.0 - RC0

Posted by Sunil G <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

Thanks for helping in verifying the release.

Post YARN-7370, preemption configs are refreshable. I tried to test by
making some changes in capacity-scheduler.xml and invoking yarn rmadmin
-refreshQueues.
I can see the changes reflected as per logs after refresh. Could you please
help to give some more scenarios so that i can try to reproduce.
Meanwhile i ll try some other combinations as well and let you know.

reservationsContinueLooking = true
*preemptionDisabled = true*
defaultAppPriorityPerQueue = 0
priority = 0
maxLifetime = -1 seconds
defaultLifetime = -1 seconds
2018-11-29 06:25:53,792 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.RMAuditLogger:
USER=sunilgovindan IP=127.0.0.1 OPERATION=refreshQueues TARGET=AdminService
RESULT=SUCCESS
2018-11-29 06:25:55,900 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.monitor.capacity.ProportionalCapacityPreemptionPolicy:
Capacity Scheduler configuration changed, updated preemption properties to:
max_ignored_over_capacity = 0.1
natural_termination_factor = 0.2
max_wait_before_kill = 15000
monitoring_interval = 3000
*total_preemption_per_round = 0.4*
observe_only = false
lazy-preemption-enabled = false
*intra-queue-preemption.enabled = false*
*intra-queue-preemption.max-allowable-limit = 0.4*
intra-queue-preemption.minimum-threshold = 0.5
intra-queue-preemption.preemption-order-policy = USERLIMIT_FIRST
priority-utilization.underutilized-preemption.enabled = false
select_based_on_reserved_containers = false
additional_res_balance_based_on_reserved_containers = false
Preemption-to-balance-queue-enabled = false

*now i disabled preemption for default queue and made some changed in
intraqueue-preemption params.*

reservationsContinueLooking = true
*preemptionDisabled = false*
defaultAppPriorityPerQueue = 0
priority = 0
maxLifetime = -1 seconds
defaultLifetime = -1 seconds
2018-11-29 06:29:32,620 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.RMAuditLogger:
USER=sunilgovindan IP=127.0.0.1 OPERATION=refreshQueues TARGET=AdminService
RESULT=SUCCESS
2018-11-29 06:29:34,893 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.server.resourcemanager.monitor.capacity.ProportionalCapacityPreemptionPolicy:
Capacity Scheduler configuration changed, updated preemption properties to:
max_ignored_over_capacity = 0.1
natural_termination_factor = 0.2
max_wait_before_kill = 15000
monitoring_interval = 3000
*total_preemption_per_round = 0.7*
observe_only = false
lazy-preemption-enabled = false
*intra-queue-preemption.enabled = true*
*intra-queue-preemption.max-allowable-limit = 0.5*

Posted by Sunil G <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Sunil G <su...@apache.org>.
Thanks @Eric Payne <er...@yahoo.com>
Due to another issue, we have to spin an RC1. In this case, could we revert
the patch which caused this problem.

Cancelling this RC0. Thanks to everyone who voted.
I will spin RC1 as soon as possible.

- Sunil

Posted by Sunil G <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sunil G <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sunil G <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sunil G <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Sunil G <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Takanobu Asanuma <ta...@yahoo-corp.jp>.
Thanks for driving the release, Sunil!

+1(non-binding)
   - verified checksums
   - succeeded in building the package (CentOS7, Java 8u181)
   - started NN HA clusters
   - verified Web UI (NN, Router)
   - verified some operations of Erasure Coding
   - verified some operations of Router-based Federation

Regards,
-Takanobu

Posted by Chandni Singh <si...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Build from source
- Launched example sleeper service
- Tested upgrade of sleeper service
- Tested cancellation of upgrade
- Tested express upgrade

Posted by Chandni Singh <si...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Chandni Singh <si...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Chandni Singh <si...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Peter Bacsko <pb...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Peter Bacsko <pb...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Peter Bacsko <pb...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Peter Bacsko <pb...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zsolt Venczel <zv...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Sunil for preparing this release!

+1 (non-binding)

- Built from source at tag 3.2.0-rc0 (Ubuntu 16.04, JDK1.8.0_191)
- Installed on a 4-node virtual cluster
- Executed teragen/terasort/teravalidate with and without EC (using
XOR-2-1-1024k policy)
- Created two snapshots and performed snapshot diff
- Checked web UIs (NN, DN, RM)
- Run unit tests for hadoop-hdfs (found one failure case of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-12116 that is not a regression)

Best regards,
Zsolt

Posted by Zsolt Venczel <zv...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Wilfred Spiegelenburg <ws...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Iñigo Goiri <el...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Deployed a cluster with 3 NNs, 3 RMs and 1 DN/NM on Azure
- Tested the Active probe for the Load Balancer in front of the NNs and the
RMs
- Checked the NN, RBF, and RM Web UIs
- Executed a wordcount, TeraGen, TeraSort  and TeraValidate
- Executed a YARN service with a TensorFlow app on Docker
- Scaled up the cluster to 5 DNs/NMs and executed the tests again
- Checked the HDFS output folders through the Web UI

Posted by Iñigo Goiri <el...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Gergely Pollak <sh...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for the work Sunil!

+1 (non-binding)

 - Checked out release-3.2.0-RC0
 - Built it on Debian 9.6 with Oracle Java 1.8.0_191-b12
 - Created a pseudo distributed cluser
 - Tested with tera(gen/sort/validate)
 - Also executed the pi job

Regards,
  Gergely Pollak

Posted by Iñigo Goiri <el...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Iñigo Goiri <el...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Gergely Pollak <sh...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for the work Sunil!

Posted by Gabor Bota <ga...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for the work Sunil!

Posted by Gabor Bota <ga...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for the work Sunil!

Posted by Eric Badger <eb...@oath.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Eric Badger <eb...@oath.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Eric Badger <eb...@oath.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Eric Badger <eb...@oath.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kitti Nanasi <kn...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
Thanks Sunil for driving this release.

+1 (binding)

- verified signatures and checksums
- checked the documents including changes and release notes
- built from source on CentOS 7.5, Java 1.8.0_191
- ran some MapReduce jobs in pseudo-distributed cluster
- checked some web UIs (NN, DN, RM, NM)

Thanks,
Akira

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.