Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/15 18:10:01 UTC

[modules] Basic Class Support interfaces

I'd like to see harmony-dev dig deeper into VM modularization.  The VM
has many areas that can benefit from modularization.  It seems best to
drill down on a simple interface first and leave the more complicated
interfaces until later.  The interface between a loaded class and the
JIT is probably the simplest and most stable in the system.  Also, the
interface between class loading and the JIT is crossed very early when
bringing up a new JVM.

In our development group, we like to use "Class Support" as an
umbrella term for the following subcategories:

Class Loading (turn *.class file into internal VM data structures,
allows class redefinition)
Class access (e.g., access class properties, includes class resolution)
Method access (e.g., access method properties, includes compiled
method updates/adding by JIT)
Field Access (e.g., access field properties)

Are the above the right subcategories?  Thoughts?