Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2010/01/18 00:44:41 UTC

roadmap for 1.4?

Hi,

I was looking at JIRA last week and thinking about where we want to go with the next release. We have 1.3.5 being voted on and just a very few issues for 1.3.6 (and anything critical that comes up in the 1.3.5 release might be included there). I see Wendy has just posted covering that.

For 1.4.0, there are a few new features in already, with about 20 or so issues closed. A lot are duplicated with 1.3.x - do we need to use both versions in JIRA when 1.4.0 hasn't been released? I thought the two versions was mainly used to indicate when a 1.4.x version had been backported to 1.3.x later on.

Beyond that, there are about 40 issues for 1.4.0 and another 40 for 1.4.1, covering a range of objectives. I thought it would be good to cut the 1.4.0 list down to a bare minimum, so that the features already done can go out in an alpha release. Then perhaps we could set an objective for the 1.4 GA release and find the issues that best relate to that. I think it'd be good to have a documented goal that we can assess issues against from the backlog, or incoming ones.

For mine, I'd like the 1.4 series to just focus on frequent problems and usability issues, such as those that Sebb has been so diligently raising recently.

Concurrently, like Emmanuel, I'd like to start talking about some architectural changes for releases beyond 1.5.

What do others think?

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: roadmap for 1.4?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
If you are keen to fix them, that's ok - but for mine, I think for things like this I'd like to put them all into a bucket for unreliable database bits and try and take care of them in 1.5.

We still need to cut down the list of things for 1.4 and try and ship what's already in there, I've been tossing a lot into that group and it's probably too much.

Re: roadmap for 1.4?

Posted by Marica Tan <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: roadmap for 1.4?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Brett, it looks good.

For 2.0, I'd like to remove the DB and replace it with xml files but we'll
can discuss about it later.

Emmanuel

Re: roadmap for 1.4?

Posted by Deng Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
Looks good, thanks Brett!

-Deng

Re: roadmap for 1.4?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: continuum 1.3 GA

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 18/02/2010, at 11:13 PM, Jevica Arianne B. Zurbano wrote:

> Can we also add CONTINUUM-2467 (Selenium test: check for project group SCM update when building projects) for 1.3 GA?

IMO, if it's causing the 1.3 tests to fail or you already have a fix that makes sense, but otherwise I'd just leave it to 1.4.

I put it in 1.4 for now, since I regularly go through the unscheduled issues and make sure they have enough info then put them in the backlog(s). IF the developers are creating issues themselves, I'd encourage setting the fix version at the time.

- Brett

Re: continuum 1.3 GA

Posted by "Jevica Arianne B. Zurbano" <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: continuum 1.3 GA (was: roadmap for 1.4?)

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
+1 for these issues.

Posted by Marica Tan <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: roadmap for 1.4?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 20/01/2010, at 9:56 AM, Marica Tan wrote:
>
> > For 1.4, I would like to focus more on fixing bugs related to distributed
> > builds.
> >
> > For 1.5, I would like to see continuum-core refactored. It's all tangled
> up
> > so it's hard to make any changes without breaking stuff.
> > I once tried to move the mail notifier out of the core but ended up not
> > being able to do so.
> >

> Ok, based on this and the comments from Deng and Wendy (and the earlier
> wish list from Emmanuel), I'd say it's:
> - get 1.3 to GA ASAP
> - select a very small number of fixes for 1.4 (particularly for distributed
> build, but also usability issues that are fixable without major work might
> be considered), so we can release that in a reasonable timeframe with the
> added features it already has
> - with 1.3 out and the 1.4 roadmap locked down, start planning for what is
> needed in 1.5 soon
>
> Is that a fair assessment?

OK for me

Emmanuel