Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Scott Tailor <sc...@netgiro.com> on 2006/09/01 10:23:50 UTC

Reproducing maven builds versus auto updating maven.

I recently gave a quick hands on introductions to Maven (v2) at the
company I'm currently consulting at. The company is now interested in
testing maven out in a project. There are two major and related concerns
I have though with using maven:

1.	Maven updates itself at a regular basis. Occasionally an update
seems to break maven. It has happened once to me, but I know of another
person who says it has happened more than once. I assume there is a way
to tell maven not to update itself, correct? If so, how?
2.	Another problem is if we use maven to build an application
today, and then two years need to come back to the code and make
changes, how can we be sure we can still build it? How do we preserve
the build environment for each maven project?

Any help/info greatly appreciated.

/Scott

Re: Reproducing maven builds versus auto updating maven.

Posted by Geoffrey De Smet <ge...@gmail.com>.
Lock down all your plugin versions.
<plugin>
   <groupId...
   <artifactId...
   <version>2.0-beta5</version>

Since I 've done that I experience it as being much much more in control
over the build process. When a new plugin is released, I change the
version and test it locally first before committing it.

Do a mvn -X install to find out which plugins you're using.

--
With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet

Re: Reproducing maven builds versus auto updating maven.

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

looking at reproducable builds, I would consider auto updating of
anything as a bug. WDYT?

Bernd