Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by "Troy J. Kelley" <tr...@e-gineering.com> on 2006/02/13 22:02:11 UTC

Does iBatis have a direct competitor?

To save on some typing, I'll point to the blog entry that I just wrote about this:

http://jroller.com/page/tkelley?entry=does_ibatis_have_a_competitor

Not that I *want* to find something other than iBatis... I've been tasked with trying to find solutions that don't quite call for the ORMs and I'm having a bit of difficulty finding some middle ground solutions that are based on the concept of Data Mapping.  Based on what I've read and experimented with, I'll be content if I only have iBatis to choose from :-)

I'm new to the mailing list, so I want to use this first post to say thanks to the iBatis team for their time and effort.  You guys rule.

-Troy

Troy J. Kelley
E-gineering, LLC
10401 North Meridian Street | Suite 150
Indianapolis, IN | 46290 | 317.616.3974
www.e-gineering.comĀ

Re: Does iBatis have a direct competitor?

Posted by Eric Blue <er...@gmail.com>.
Troy,

I've been using iBatis for well over a year now and have had nothing short
of success on about a half dozen projects.  So, I really haven't had any
great desire to look elsewhere at this point.  On a few of these projects,
the object model was (in my view) somewhat complicated and iBatis worked out
just fine.

When I was researching ORM and mapping solutions I did come across some good
links.  You may want to check these out.  Please bear in mind that I've only
had direct experience with iBatis, and some of these projects may fall more
on the side of full ORM instead of mapping.

BeJUG Persistance Overview
http://media.techtarget.com/tss/BeJUG/PersistenceOverview/index.html

OR Broker - JDBC Framework
http://orbroker.sourceforge.net/documentation/faq.shtml

SimpleORM
http://www.simpleorm.org/

ORMTools - Courtesty SimpleORM
http://www.simpleorm.org/OtherDocs/ORMTools.html

Mr. Persister
http://www.jenkov.com/mrpersister/introduction.tmpl

Re: Does iBatis have a direct competitor?

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
Interesting.

My experience with ORM must be quite different from yours.

I have seen some special cases where ORM might come in handy like
smaller projects where the database is only used by one application,
and would all fit into memory.

In an enterprise application on the other hand, where the database is
in the 100s of GB range and shared by multiple applications that do
not all operate within the same JVM, I have had nothing but pain with
ORM.

I am aware of no reason that a rich object model would preclude the
use of iBATIS.

Larry