Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "hao.wang" <ha...@ipinyou.com> on 2012/01/09 13:20:44 UTC

how to set mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum and mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum

Hi ,all
    Our hadoop cluster has 22 nodes including one namenode, one jobtracker and 20 datanodes.
    Each node has 2 * 12 cores with 32G RAM
    Dose anyone tell me how to config following parameters:
    mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum
    mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum

regards!
2012-01-09

hao.wang

Re: how to set mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum and mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hello again,

Try a 4:3 ratio between maps and reduces, against a total # of available CPUs per node (minus one or two, for DN and HBase if you run those). Then tweak it as you go (more map-only loads or more map-reduce loads, that depends on your usage, and you can tweak the ratio accordingly over time -- changing those props do not need JobTracker restarts, just TaskTracker).

Re: Re: how to set mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum and mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum

Posted by Prashant Kommireddi <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hao,

Ideally you would want to leave out a core each for Tasktracker and
Datanode process' on each node. The rest could be used for maps and
reducers.

Thanks,
Prashant

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Yes, divide the number of cores between map and reduce slots. Depending on your workload, start with a 4:3 ratio and work your way to better tuning eventually (if you have more map-only jobs, adjust ratio accordingly, etc.).

Changing slot params requires TaskTracker restarts alone, not JobTracker, so you can do it without much troubles on a live cluster too.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hello Hao,

Re: has bzip2 compression been deprecated?

Posted by Bejoy Ks <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony
      Please find responses inline

So, to summarise: when I CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE in Hive, the STORED AS, ROW
FORMAT and other parameters you mention are telling Hive what to expect
when it reads the data I want to analyse, despite not checking the data to
see if it meets these criteria?

[Bejoy] Yes, no data format validation is performed on CREATE TABLE. You
get to know the data issues when you QUERY the table.

Do these guidelines still apply if the table is not EXTERNAL?

[Bejoy] Yes, EXTERNAL tables are not far different from hive managed tables
(normal tables) . The basic diffrence is that when you do CREATE TABLE the
data dir is created under /usr/hive/warehouse (in default conf) and in case
of EXTERNAL TABLES you can point to any dir in hdfs as the data dir. The
main difference to keep in mind is if you DROP an EXTERNAL TABLE the data
dir in hdfs is not deleted where in case of NORMAL TABLES it is deleted
(you completely lose data here).

Regards
Bejoy.K.S

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Tony,

Posted by Tony Burton <TB...@SportingIndex.com>.

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@cloudera.com>.
Yes. Hive doesn't format data when you load it. The only exception is if you do an INSERT OVERWRITE ... .

-Joey

Posted by Bejoy Ks <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony

Posted by Tim Broberg <Ti...@exar.com>.
Based on this, it seems like the best approach is just to pick block compression rather than record compression, presumeably for this very reason.

https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/CDHDOC/Snappy+Installation

Perhaps record compression is the default to prioritize speed...

    - Tim.
From: Tim Broberg <Ti...@exar.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 12:27:47
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org<co...@hadoop.apache.org>

Out of curiousity, when hive records are compressed, how large is a typical compressed record?

Do you have issues where the block size is too small to be compressed efficiently?

More generally, I wonder what the smallest desirable compressed record size is in the hadoop universe.

    - Tim.

Thanks Bejoy - I'm fairly new to Hive so may be wrong here, but I was under the impression that the STORED AS part of a CREATE TABLE in Hive refers to how the data in the table will be stored once the table is created, rather than the compression format of the data used to populate the table. Can you clarify which is the correct interpretation? If it's the latter, how would I read a sequence file into a Hive table?

Thanks,

Tony

       Adding on to Harsh's comments. If you want the generated sequence
files to be utilized by a hive table. Define your hive table as

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE tableNAme(col1 INT, c0l2 STRING)
STORED AS SEQUENCEFILE;

Regards
Bejoy.K.S

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM, alo.alt <wg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Tony,
>
> snappy is also available:
> http://code.google.com/p/hadoop-snappy/
>
> best,
>  Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Lorenz
> http://mapredit.blogspot.com
>
> On Jan 9, 2012, at 8:49 AM, Harsh J wrote:
>
> > Tony,
> >
> > * Yeah, SequenceFiles aren't human-readable, but "fs -text" can read it
> out (instead of a plain "fs -cat"). But if you are gonna export your files
> into a system you do not have much control over, probably best to have the
> resultant files not be in SequenceFile/Avro-DataFile format.
> > * Intermediate (M-to-R) files use a custom IFile format these days,
> which is built purely for that purpose.
> > * Hive can use SequenceFiles very well. There is also documented info on
> this in the Hive's wiki pages (Check the DDL pages, IIRC).
> >
> > On 09-Jan-2012, at 9:44 PM, Tony Burton wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the quick reply and the clarification about the
> documentation.
> >>
> >> Regarding sequence files: am I right in thinking that they're a good
> choice for intermediate steps in chained MR jobs, or for file transfer
> between the Map and the Reduce phases of a job; but they shouldn't be used
> for human-readable files at the end of one or more MapReduce jobs? How
> about if the only use a job's output is analysis via Hive - can Hive create
> tables from sequence files?
> >>
> >> Tony

The information and any attached documents contained in this message
may be confidential and/or legally privileged.  The message is
intended solely for the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or
reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by
return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Posted by be...@gmail.com.

Posted by Tony Burton <TB...@SportingIndex.com>.

Posted by Bejoy Ks <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tony