Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com> on 2004/05/18 22:07:13 UTC

migrating Xalan-J interpretive, Xalan-J XSLTC and Xalan-C++ to JIRA

Hello fellow Xalan developers.

Xalan has been using Bugzilla as its bug-tracking system for a number of
years.

Recently the Apache Infrastructure team installed a new tool name JIRA
(sound like Beer - ahhh).

You can check it out at:
      http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

If you have a bugzilla account (and you should if you are a Xalan
developer) then you should use the same user ID for JIRA.  I don't know
what will happen if you don't do this ....
You will need a new password for JIRA which you can easily set up from the
page indicated above by putting ID in and clicking "Forgot Password".
Later you can log in with the one mailed to you and set it as you like.

Niel Graham, who was involved with migrating Xerces to JIRA has said this:
>> In my opinion,
>> Jira is a significantly better product than Bugzilla.
>> Its interface is cleaner and faster to use, and, moreover,
>> it is possible to generate XML reports from Jira--which
>> are much more amenable to
>> post-processing than is the HTML that Bugzilla emits.

I like the way the different Apache projects that are on JIRA have "issue"
keys that are not just numbers but a prefix indicating the product,
followed by a number, e.g. XERCESC-1209.

I'm suggesting we migrate with an historical link to our existing bugs in
bugzilla.

Re: migrating Xalan-J interpretive, Xalan-J XSLTC and Xalan-C++ to JIRA

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.

... Hmmm. Actually, the most recent note I got from Jira was fine. It may
just be that I'm not used to having the whole text of a problem attached at
the end of a status change even when the status change itself doesn't carry
a comment. So I'll raise my non-vote <smile/> +0 -- no strong opinion but
it looks reasonable.

Re: migrating Xalan-J interpretive, Xalan-J XSLTC and Xalan-C++ to JIRA

Posted by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com>.

My previous note was a was a pre-vote awareness note on  moving from
bugzilla to JIRA for Xalan,
If there are  issues as to why not to move then I'd like to iron that out
before calling a vote.

----------
Brian Minchau
XSLT Development, IBM Toronto
e-mail:        minchau@ca.ibm.com

             Joseph Kesselman
             <keshlam@us.ibm.c
                                       xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
             05/19/2004 10:39                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: migrating Xalan-J interpretive,
             Please respond to         Xalan-J XSLTC and Xalan-C++ to JIRA
                 xalan-dev

Can I vote 0?

I've been keeping half an eye on Xerces' experience with Jira. The tool
itself seems reasonable.  The e-mail it generates when problems are
posted/updated is annoyingly verbose, which I find discourages me from
actually looking at the text of the problem reports.

So I'd prefer to see the mail formatting tightened up before we adopt it.

But that reflects my own habits, and since I'm spending less time on direct
support these days it isn't clear my opinion signifies.

Re: migrating Xalan-J interpretive, Xalan-J XSLTC and Xalan-C++ to JIRA