Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Mark Slee <ms...@facebook.com> on 2008/09/03 01:10:35 UTC

RE: why...

I just wanted to try to bring some closure to this thread since it seems
like there were a lot of different ideas in it, with both disagreement
and agreement, and no clear resolution.

Torsten -- we're happy to have you interested in Thrift, and you've
brought up a number of places for improvement. I think some of your
specific questions have touched upon specific values of the Thrift
project that aren't necessarily obvious from the outset -- such as
simplicity and consistency. We're really trying to ensure that Thrift is
a project that does a few clear things and does them very clearly and
very well. This leads to pushback on a lot of niche feature additions
that we don't believe will benefit the project in the long run. Please
don't interpret this pushback as a disinterest in building community,
rather we're all just viewing the project from different angles and with
different communication styles.

Two issues you raised that I think are very well-aligned with the values
and mission of the project were making object composition (or maybe
inheritance if it can be made portable) easier, and more clearly
delineating abstracting data serialization from services/RPC (though
they are currently separate, it's not obvious to new users that Thrift
might be a good choice just for data serialization needs, or where
exactly this boundary lies).

Cheers,
mcslee

Posted by Aditya Agarwal <ad...@facebook.com>.
Well said.

It might also be worth calling out the core principles and guidelines in
the front page of the new wiki page.