Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Jordi Pujol <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/03 08:03:37 UTC

distribution list, group of Contacts and groupOfNames

Hi, all!
My names is Jordi and i'm implementing an addressbook in Apache Directory Server to work with several email clients like Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, etc...
This work well with normal contacts, if you know the mappings that use Windows email clients...

But the problem comes when i try to emulate the group of contacts in the LDAP side...

As you know there are two group classes in LDAP, groupOfNames and groupOfUniqueNames, but they hasn't the mail attribute....
In past, there was the rfc822mailmember but it seems that is deprecated....

If i build the groupOfNames, i can find from the email client, but obviously, doesn't have the mail attribute.....

My question, there is any solution to acomplish that?

I think that perhap a solution is to build a procedure that we you call from email clients with their cn=emailList return a "contact" with mail attribute build in with the list of mail members......

Before start to study how to do that, program it, etc.... anyone knows if this idea is useful and can work?

Thanks to all!

Re: distribution list, group of Contacts and groupOfNames

Posted by Jordi Pujol <jo...@gmail.com>.
It's only a read attribute from the client...
But it must be updated when a member is added or removed of the group....

Regards.

Posted by Jordi Pujol <jo...@gmail.com>.
Finally, I decide that is impossible...

I try to update manually the mail attribute from "Windows Mail"....
The mail returned value is formated like these: "userlist <user1@domain.com;
user2@domain.com; .....>" ....
And this doesn't work...

If I have several mail attributes, it only gets the first....

Conclusion:

1.- I'm going to use the classical groupOfNames....
2.- Make a batch that reads the member of the group, and store the mail
attributes in the file of a mail distribuition list with the name of the
group....
3.- In windows mail (or other), when i read the mail attribute this gets
nameofgroup@mydomain....

That's all!

Posted by Jordi Pujol <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Ioannis.
Finally i find a workaround to acomplish my objective.
What i want to do is to implement all my addressbook of contacts in LDAP.
The addressbook in Outlook, Windows Mail, etc... has two kind of contacts:
contacts and groupOfContacts.
The first it's easy to do. Just look what are the mapping between the
contact fields and ldap attributes....
The problem is in the group of contacts.
The group of contacts in several email windows clients is an xml with
references to another contacts, that the email client translate in sending
time into list of addresses.

I try to implement a groupOfNamesEmail that has the list of mail members in
mail attribute.
But doing the tests, i see that this never works.

Why?

Because Windows Mail, Windows Mail Live Mail, Outlook Express, etc....,
builds the mail field with this : "cn <mail>".....
If you put this in mail ldap attribute :
user1@mydomain.com,user2@mydomain.com,user3@mydomain.com, ...., you obtain
in email client program this "cn
<user1@mydomain.com,user2@mydomain.com,user3@mydomain.com", and it never
works because it's an invalid email address....

Perhaps, if i use ActiveDirectory or ExchangeServer, this is well
implemented, and easy to do....

But i found a little more easy solution:

Start o ldap attribute with a classifing string like this: "clients:
enterprise name", or "provider: enterprise name"....

Doing this i can do searchs putting only "client" or "provider" in the field
"Organization" in Windows Live Mail, and select the resulting list, and so
on.....

Easy and with no headaches....

Thanks to all for the support!

Posted by Ioannis Mavroukakis <im...@gameaccount.com>.
Hi Jordi,

Posted by Jordi Pujol <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Ioannis!
But ever if i can build the interceptor, the finally mail attribute value,
doesn't work with email client (windows live mail, windows mail, etc...) as
I explained in my last post....
mail for Windows Mail, must be an unique address that finally is composed
with the cn <mail attribute value> ..... (like these users
users@domain.com)....

I know that the most perfect solution is know the exactly attribute that is
used in ActiveDirectory to acomplish that funcionality..... but i thing that
i'm more fast if i build a java batch command to do that....

Regards!

Posted by Ioannis Mavroukakis <im...@gameaccount.com>.
Hi Jordi,

Posted by Ioannis Mavroukakis <im...@gameaccount.com>.