Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com> on 2001/03/23 17:24:36 UTC

Re: WARNING. You sent a potential virus or unauthorised code

I've just received this. I comment down.

support@messagelabs.com wrote:

> The MessageLabs Virus Control Centre discovered a possible
> virus or unauthorised code (such as a joke program or trojan)
> in an email sent by you.
>
> Please read this whole email carefully. It explains what has
> happened to your email, which suspected virus has been caught,
> and what to do if you need help.

> Some details about the infected message
>
> To help identify the email:
>
> The message sender was
>     jetspeed-dev-return-200-Ian.Gilbert=global-crossing.co.uk@jakarta.apache.org
>     jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>     sgala@apache.org
>
> (if this is not your email address, the message sender possibly
> belongs to a mailing list to which you both subscribe.)
>
> The message was titled 'cvs commit: jakarta-jetspeed/docs/site administration.html application-development.html branches.html code-standards.html content-syndication.html contributors.html customizer.html developer-notes.html diskcache.html faq.html features.html index.html install.html license.html psml.html resources.html todo.html uml.html usejetspeed.html wap.html'
> The message date was 23 Mar 2001 14:02:05 -0000
> The message identifier was <20...@apache.org>
> The message recipients were
>     Ian.Gilbert@global-crossing.co.uk
>

> To help identify the virus:
>
> Scanner 1 (Skeptic) reported the following:
>
> Skeptic searching for 26 viruses

> The message was diverted into the virus holding pen on
> mail server server-48.tower-1.london-2.starlabs.net (id 588686_985357952)
> and will be held for 30 days before being destroyed.

It seems to be related with the length of the subject line, that could
crash some mail agents overflowing a buffer.

I'm sending copy to general@jakarta.apache.org, to see if there is a
simple solution to trim the Subject of cvs generated mails to a given
maximum length.

If not, I would suggest messagelabs.com to unsubscribe all of their
people from the jakarta.apache.org lists, to avoid us their spam.

Re: WARNING. You sent a potential virus or unauthorised code

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/23/01 8:24 AM, "Santiago Gala" <sg...@hisitech.com> wrote:

> I've just received this. I comment down.

Their system is crappy. I have had several flamewars with these people about
their "virus detection" software which just loves to send tons of those
emails when it detects a long subject line.

Ug. If only they wouldn't respond to "Precedence: Bulk" addresses...anyway,
I got moderator messages from them and didn't approve them to the
list...personally, I would just rather block their entire domain as a spam
sender...

-jon