Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io> on 2015/09/08 19:19:49 UTC

Maybe 0.8.3 should really be 0.9.0?

Hi Kafka Fans,

What do you think of making the next release (the one with security, new
consumer, quotas, etc) a 0.9.0 instead of 0.8.3?

It has lots of new features, and new consumer was pretty much scoped for
0.9.0, so it matches our original roadmap. I feel that so many awesome
features deserve a better release number.

The downside is mainly some confusion (we refer to 0.8.3 in bunch of
places), and noisy emails from JIRA while we change "fix version" field
everywhere.

Thoughts?

Re: Maybe 0.8.3 should really be 0.9.0?

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
It seems that everyone is in favor of renaming 0.8.3 to 0.9.0. I made the
following changes in the jira: (1) rename version 0.9.0 to 0.10.0.0; (2)
rename version 0.8.3 to 0.9.0.0; (3) add version 0.9.0.1.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
Jun,

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Hi, Joe,

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Posted by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>.
+1 for 0.9

Posted by Stevo Slavić <ss...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding) for 0.9

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
+1 for 0.9.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
+1 (non-binding) for 0.9.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
I don't know of any 1.0 plans. IMO, it makes sense to have 0.9.0 out first,
and then discuss what it will take to get to 1.0.
Does that make sense?

Posted by Aditya Auradkar <aa...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Hi Gwen,

Posted by Jiangjie Qin <jq...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Based on the new feature in next release, 0.9 looks reasonable.

There might be some other things worth thinking about. Although we have a
lot of new feature added, many of them are actually either still in
development or not well tested yet. For example, for security features,
only SSL is done and tested. New consumer API might still subject to
changes. In that case. If we release 0.9 now, we might need a lot of
0.9.x.x version to fix bugs and change APIs later. I thought the original
plan was to let 0.8.3 to have both new and old consumer and remove the old
consumer in 0.9.

If we don't have any stability guarantee for versions, I think either way
is fine. But I feel slightly better to have a transitional version 0.8.3.
It might give us some room to test and stabilize.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
So far, we have been following more or less the semantic versioning. It's
just that the major version is really the first leading none zero digit.
So, the first release will be 0.9.0.0. A bug fix release will then be
0.9.0.1. A minor release will be 0.9.1.0.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
Hi Gwen,

Posted by Mayuresh Gharat <gh...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 0.9 - we may want to get rid of deprecated configs if possible in
this, instead of waiting for 1.0.

Thanks,

Mayuresh

--
-Regards,
Mayuresh R. Gharat

Re: Maybe 0.8.3 should really be 0.9.0?

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
+1 on 0.9 as well.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: Maybe 0.8.3 should really be 0.9.0?

Posted by Aditya Auradkar <aa...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
+1 on 0.9

Posted by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>.
+1 on 0.9.0

Posted by Ashish Singh <as...@cloudera.com>.
+1 on 0.9.0

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io> wrote:

> I propose a simple rename: s/0.8.3/0.9.0/
>
> No change of scope and not including current 0.9.0 issues.
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Rajini Sivaram <
> rajinisivaram@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is the plan to release 0.9 in October with the features currently
> targeted
> > for 0.8.3, or would 0.9 be a later release including all the issues
> > currently targeted for 0.8.3 and 0.9? Will the scope of the release
> change
> > when it is renamed?
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rajini
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 7:21 PM, Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 on 0.9
> > >
> > > -Jay

> > new

> > for
> awesome

> field

Ashish

Re: Maybe 0.8.3 should really be 0.9.0?

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>.
Based on the scope, prefer 0.9.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io> wrote:

> +1 on 0.9
>
> -Jay
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io> wrote:
>
> > Hi Kafka Fans,
> >
> > What do you think of making the next release (the one with security, new
> > consumer, quotas, etc) a 0.9.0 instead of 0.8.3?
> >
> > It has lots of new features, and new consumer was pretty much scoped for
> > 0.9.0, so it matches our original roadmap. I feel that so many awesome
> > features deserve a better release number.
> >
> > The downside is mainly some confusion (we refer to 0.8.3 in bunch of
> > places), and noisy emails from JIRA while we change "fix version" field
> > everywhere.
> >
> > Thoughts?

Neha

Re: Maybe 0.8.3 should really be 0.9.0?