Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com> on 2009/09/16 16:10:59 UTC

Who can cast binding votes?

While we're discussing voting, I've been looking at
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html

Under "Apache HTTP Server Committers" it says "these volunteers may cast
binding votes on any technical discussion".

Under "Voting", it says "the only binding votes are those cast by active
members of the Apache Group", which sounds like PMC members, but that
would imply that not all committers can cast binding votes,
contradicting what was said earlier.

Can someone clarify that for me?

Thanks.

--
Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com>

Re: Who can cast binding votes?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On 16 Sep 2009, at 15:10, Dan Poirier wrote:

> While we're discussing voting, I've been looking at
> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html
>
> Under "Apache HTTP Server Committers" it says "these volunteers may
> cast
> binding votes on any technical discussion".
>
> Under "Voting", it says "the only binding votes are those cast by
> active
> members of the Apache Group", which sounds like PMC members, but that
> would imply that not all committers can cast binding votes,
> contradicting what was said earlier.
>
> Can someone clarify that for me?

Any committer can vote in STATUS, and we treat all votes as equal.
I guess that counts as technical issues.  Not sure if that's just de-
facto,
but it's happened for as long as I can remember.

Project management matters, such as approving a release or
electing a new committer, are for the PMC.

Can't help on that frankly-confusing wording you quote.

--
Nick Kew