Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by H....@MI.unimaas.nl on 2004/02/02 15:37:59 UTC

RE: Cocoon + "private" project + CVS use, best practice?

Hi guys,

thank you all for the suggestions. Reading your answers I realised I didn't
present my question clearly enough. I wanted to know a way of building my
own CVS that includes both "standard cocoon" and my own project, but I
suppose I should think in another way.
What I needed most was probably the Wiki page (I had come across this once,
but couldn't find it any more, so thanks for the link).
What I do now is modify the files in a running Tomcat webapp to quickly
test/develop. I really like this due to the speed of development. Following
the setup of the Wiki page, I will loose this speed. I'll think this over,
but if anyone has comments please provide them.

Bye, Helma

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 02 Feb 2004, at 15:37, H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl wrote:
>
>> What I do now is modify the files in a running Tomcat webapp to quickly
>> test/develop. I really like this due to the speed of development.
>> Following
>> the setup of the Wiki page, I will loose this speed. I'll think this
>> over,
>> but if anyone has comments please provide them.
>

> Rant: I have lost precious files on several occasions using this
> practice. I know many people use this practice since it's easy, but
> it's not foolproof. At the office, I get almost physically abused if I
> mention the practice, let alone use or advocate it. :-)

Can you set up a web cam in your office? ;-)

To say something on-topic:
Current project of mine contains all the necessary jars build from the
Cocoon in its webapp, and I run this webapp right from CVS, using tomcat
which I start in debug from IntelliJ IDEA. Any changed files are picked
up, and changed sources can be recompiled & reloaded without stopping
debugger.

To update Cocoon, I need to update separate CVS project, build it, and
copy Cocoon's jars into my webapp's lib folder.

Vadim

Re: Cocoon + "private" project + CVS use, best practice?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 02 Feb 2004, at 15:37, H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl wrote:

> What I do now is modify the files in a running Tomcat webapp to quickly
> test/develop. I really like this due to the speed of development.
> Following
> the setup of the Wiki page, I will loose this speed. I'll think this
> over,
> but if anyone has comments please provide them.

Rant: I have lost precious files on several occasions using this
practice. I know many people use this practice since it's easy, but
it's not foolproof. At the office, I get almost physically abused if I
mention the practice, let alone use or advocate it. :-)

There even exist 'backcopy' or 'sync' Ant tasks supporting this
practice. Forrest had one IIRC, but now they support in-place editing
for most of the website content.

But as they would say in Dutch, "efkes flink zijn" seems more sensible.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org