Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Guy Umbright <gu...@kickstandsoft.com> on 2004/04/28 20:20:59 UTC

[OT, somewhat] Can't get svn+ssh to work

I had everything working under Mac OS X (subversion installed via
darwin ports), then I had to reconfigure the
two client machines and now I can't convince things to work.

Specifically, when I do (for instance):

   svn commit -m "update"

I get the following:

   bash: svnserve: command not found
   svn: Commit failed (details follow):
   svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

Similar message for a checkout too.

I can successfully ssh to the client machine and do "svnserve -i", with
no problem, getting

  ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )

But strangely if I do:

   ssh <servermachine> svnserve -i

I get the same messages as with the svn command. If I do the following
though:

   ssh <servermachine> /opt/local/bin/svnserve -i

getting:

   ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )

/opt/local/bin is indeed in the the path for the account, so I don't
get what the hell is going wrong.  I will accept
any ideas, as well as any dopeslaps.  What did I mess up?

Guy

--
WWARPWDBISCD - What would a rational person who didn't belive in
superstitous crap do?

Re: [OT, somewhat] Can't get svn+ssh to work

Posted by Guy Umbright <gu...@kickstandsoft.com>.
DING!  Ah thank you.  I knew I had to be missing something fundamental.

The server had apparently been running svnserve from an older copy that
I forgot I
installed in a different path, and I had cleared out that directory.
Adding a .bashrc
with the path I need in it, fixes the problem.

Thanks again.  I have been banging my head on the desk on this one.

Guy

On Apr 29, 2004, at 2:28 AM, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:

> Guy Umbright wrote:
>> I can successfully ssh to the client machine and do "svnserve -i",
>> with
>> no problem, getting
>>
>>   ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )
>>
>> But strangely if I do:
>>
>>    ssh <servermachine> svnserve -i
>>
>> I get the same messages as with the svn command. If I do the following
>> though:
>>
>>    ssh <servermachine> /opt/local/bin/svnserve -i
>>
>> getting:
>>
>>    ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )
>>
>> /opt/local/bin is indeed in the the path for the account, so I don't
>> get what the hell is going wrong.  I will accept
>> any ideas, as well as any dopeslaps.  What did I mess up?
>
> Well, I'd guess the paths for that account. Beware, there might be
> wore than
> one place to set the path. I think, by default, ssh starts a /bin/sh
> when
> invoking another process and /bin/sh probably wont read ~/.bashrc,
> even if
> that is the user's shell.
>
> Uli

"Supernaturalism cannot, by its nature, be a "missing piece"; it is
merely the observation that a piece is missing."
Malaclypse the Younger

Re: [OT, somewhat] Can't get svn+ssh to work

Posted by Dirk Reckmann <dy...@gmx.de>.
Am Donnerstag, 29. April 2004 09:28 schrieb Ulrich Eckhardt:
> Guy Umbright wrote:
> > I can successfully ssh to the client machine and do "svnserve -i", with
> > no problem, getting
> >
> >   ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )
> >
> > But strangely if I do:
> >
> >    ssh <servermachine> svnserve -i
> >
> > I get the same messages as with the svn command. If I do the following
> > though:
> >
> >    ssh <servermachine> /opt/local/bin/svnserve -i
> >
> > getting:
> >
> >    ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )
> >
> > /opt/local/bin is indeed in the the path for the account, so I don't
> > get what the hell is going wrong.  I will accept
> > any ideas, as well as any dopeslaps.  What did I mess up?
>
> Well, I'd guess the paths for that account. Beware, there might be wore
> than one place to set the path. I think, by default, ssh starts a /bin/sh
> when invoking another process and /bin/sh probably wont read ~/.bashrc,
> even if that is the user's shell.

If you're executing 'ssh <server> <command>', neither bash nor sh are started.
Instead, the <command> is started directly, and it is searched for <command>
in the directories indicated by the PATH evironment variable.

And according to the ENVIRONMENT section of the ssh manpage:

     PATH    Set to the default PATH, as specified when compiling ssh.

So you may put a symbolic link to your svnserve in /usr/bin (as I did), or
recompile ssh.

HTH,
  Dirk

Re: [OT, somewhat] Can't get svn+ssh to work

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.