Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org> on 2021/02/09 22:19:49 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.31

Hi all,

Please vote on releasing FreeMarker 2.3.31!

As there were changes in the last few days, don't skip testing with
your dependent projects, even if you already did it recently.

Release Notes:
https://freemarker.apache.org/builds/2.3.31-voting/versions_2_3_31.html

Before proceed, you should know that FreeMarker 2.3.x, for a long
time, always releases a normal and a "gae" variant on the same time,
which are technically two independent source trees (Git branches). The
"gae" variant contains a few small modification in the Java source
code to be Google App Engine compliant, and has freemarker-gae as the
Maven artifact name. Otherwise the normal and the "gae" branches are
identical. Hence they will be voted on together.

The commits to be voted upon are:
- Normal (non-gae) variant:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=freemarker.git;a=commit;h=f2308d4b4c242901e6a0e71cb12082243479f69c
  Commit hash: f2308d4b4c242901e6a0e71cb12082243479f69c
- "gae" variant:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=freemarker.git;a=commit;h=8d15d85c70df172e5c8ad64f6ba05d52dcac663c
  Commit hash: 8d15d85c70df172e5c8ad64f6ba05d52dcac663c

The artifacts to be voted upon are located here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/freemarker/engine/2.3.31/source/
where the source release artifacts are:
- Normal (non-gae) variant:
  apache-freemarker-2.3.31-src.tar.gz
- "gae" variant:
  apache-freemarker-gae-2.3.31-src.tar.gz

See the README.md inside them for build instructions!

The release artifacts are signed with the following key:
https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/ddekany.asc

For convenience, we also provide binaries, which also need to be checked:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/freemarker/engine/2.3.31/binaries/
and Maven artifacts in the ASF Staging Repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/staging/org/freemarker/freemarker/2.3.31/

Please try out the package and vote!

The vote is open for a minimum of 72 hours or until the necessary number of
votes (3 binding +1s) is reached.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache FreeMarker 2.3.31
[ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

Please add "(binding)" if your vote is binding.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.31

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Just a really minor trivial thing, for your next release you might want to update the year in the NOTICE file to include the current year.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache FreeMarker 2.3.31

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

checksum, signature, build and tests are all successful.

Jacopo Cappellato

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

I was the release engineer, and didn't notice anything out of order.
I also tested the release with FMPP (test suite passes), and Docgen
(generates exactly the same output for the FreeMarker Manual).

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1 (binding)

Tested in OFBiz trunk HEAD, UI and console OK. I even spotted an old small issue in log that did not show before :)

Jacques

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Christoph Rüger <c....@synesty.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <da...@gmail.com>.
Ah, indeed, ARM allows reordering stores and such. I don't think the test
suite (that runs on Travis on ARM) has much chance to uncover such bugs, if
any exists. FM has not-so-trivial concurrency at a few places. But at least
I never assumed anything that the JVM memory model doesn't guarantee.
Others did some brave things though. Like in SimpleHash, the code assumes
that HashMap and TreeMap can be confurrently modified without any
synchronization, as far as you don't add a new key, just modify the value
for an existing key. (That the new value might won't be immediately visible
for other threads is not a big problem there, especially as real world
CPU-s has coherent cache, so it will be visible very soon.)

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Daniel Dekany <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilio Fernandes <em...@gmail.com>.