Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org> on 2015/08/10 15:19:33 UTC

Working on MJAVADOC-400

I was looking at issue MJAVADOC-400 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MJAVADOC-400).  I have been working
potential fix, I just want to check in before I put all the polish on it
and submit it.

The current behavior of the plugin is if one of the aggregate goals is
targeted, javadoc is only generated if the project is the execution root.
In that case, the javadoc for all the reactor projects are aggregated into
the result. If the project in question is not the execution root (i.e. it
is a module or grand-module (etc.) of the root project) then the javadoc is
not generated and no error is reported.

I have not been able to determine the reasoning behind the above behavior,
except that if non-execution root projects were allowed to execute then as
written the plugin would pull in all the javadoc from all the reactor
projects, resulting in different results depending on what reactor projects
were pulled in by different roots.  But in my mind that is just a bug in
the implementation, not a reason to prevent execution on module projects.

So, with the goal of preserving the current behavior when javadoc was
executed by the current code, and the goal of generating the same javadoc
on a project whether it is the execution root, a module or a
sub-sub-module, etc., I propose that instead of pulling in all reactor
projects to generate javadoc, the plugin pulls in projects that are modules
of the project and then recursively include the modules of those projects.
I'll be working on implementing that fix and preparing a patch to submit.

Thanks,
Ray

Re: Working on MJAVADOC-400

Posted by he...@free.fr.
ok, I took time to find back Jira issues related to what I'm fearing:
MJAVADOC-171 and related issues

I'll need some time to carefully review your patch, since it's quite big and the plugin is already quite complex

if others could have a look at it too, that would probably help

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Raymond DeCampo <ra...@decampo.org>.
I checked the major issues in the Maven javadoc plugin JIRA but I couldn't
find one referring to multiple executions.

In any case I have attached a patch directly to MJAVADOC-400.

I did review the patch with an eye towards catching potential multiple
executions.  In addition I did not encounter the problem when testing out
the patch (either before or after applying it).

Thanks,
Ray

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 3:57 AM, <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> AFAIK, there is currently a severe problem with aggregate reports, causing
> multiple executions: I couldn't find issues references at the moment, but I
> can provide
>
> Then when working on this, please check that the multiple execution
> problem doesn't get worse
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Re: Working on MJAVADOC-400