Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Douglas Service <ds...@gmail.com> on 2016/12/06 01:14:58 UTC

Status Update on Avro

I have extracted Avro from  Microsoft.Hadoop (The version of Avro REEF
currently uses on the C# side from a nuget package) and placed it into a
repository on github at https://github.com/dougmsft/microsoft-avro. The
VS2017 branch of this repository contains a version of C# Avro which I have
modified to compile and run the core Avro project and Avro unit test
project under .NET Core 1.1. The tools project has also been converted to
.NET 1.1 in the singlis/VS2017 branch but they have not been tested yet.

I propose that once that once this version of Avro is fully tested and we
have a nuget package we

   1. Switch to using this version of Avro on the C# side of REEF as it
   will allow us to compile under .NET 1.1 and run the C# version of REEF on
   Linux.
   2. We (me) offer to integrate this version of C# Avro with Apache Avro
   so we can use Apache Avro on both the C# and Java sides of REEF.

I am proposing to do the integration into Apache Avro second so that we can
get up and running with C# on Linux as soon as possible.

Doug

Re: Status Update on Avro

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
+1 Thank for the update!